Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Van versus Car ad/disadvantages

Options
  • 14-08-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

Im trying to decide on a model.

Whats the average price difference between a car van and it car equal?
    Very general question I know

Disadvantage:

Tolls: I see in another post the toll bridge try to charge commercial but avoided if the bucket lane is used.

Insurance: Beware that you cant drive any other car if commercially unless you use an issuance Co like FBD

Any other disadvantages no immediately apparent?

Advantages:

VAT: The major advantage is the VAT back at 21% but this has to be paid back minus depreciation I presume when sold? But if the buyer doesn’t want a VAT receipt?

Diesel – tax deductible.

Can throw two bikes in the back and go to the country for a jaunt.

I still havnt found a model I like though. The Golf Vans are very pricey – I like them.

Anyone any favorites / comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The toll bridge may not be a problem, the Auris and Golf and I think the 307 van have tinted type windows in the back and its difficult to notice them as a van, most likely you wouldn't have any problem going through as a car if you wanted to chance it. You wont pay BIK on a car van which is nice if a company is paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The toll will recognise a carvan from it being taxed commercially etc. they do watch these things you know. The first time I went through the M1 with my old EazyPass the fella took one look at the jeep and got a smirk on his face. When I was returning through the same day the EazyPass had been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Car Vans get thru the toll barrier all the time, just don't complain if it's you who gets nabbed.

Advantages of a Carvan over a Car? Space? That would be the only one worth considering IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

I used to go to the automatic machines on the M4, and put in the change for a car, it just popped up the barrier. It is annoying though when they are closed and you have to pay full whack.
    Insurance depends, with quinnit is definately a lot cheaper to insure a van, afaik if you insure it as a private vehicle you still have cover on other private cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Savman wrote:
    Car Vans get thru the toll barrier all the time, just don't complain if it's you who gets nabbed.
    Maybe with the pay lanes you will get away with it but I think the EazyPass people watch out for this kind of thing. Maybe I shouldn't have got the EazyPass. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Dont suppose its legal to have a baby seat in the back of a commercial!

Surprised at the cost of a VW Golf commercial Diesel 25K (20 minus the VAT)
    versus the cheapest Golf car circa 20K = same.

I just thought the cost difference would be greater.

In terms of Diesel fuel – it being tax deductible - but that’s just a % I think (anyone know?) so unless you have massive mileage not worth factoring into the will I get a car / car van equation?

The insurance - they said a friend could be added for free once they are 25+ with full license (Thats insuring it private) Its all a bit confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

worded wrote:
    Dont suppose its legal to have a baby seat in the back of a commercial!

Surprised at the cost of a VW Golf commercial Diesel 25K (20 minus the VAT)
    versus the cheapest Golf car circa 20K = same.

I just thought the cost difference would be greater.

In terms of Diesel fuel – it being tax deductible - but that’s just a % I think (anyone know?) so unless you have massive mileage not worth factoring into the will I get a car / car van equation?

The insurance - they said a friend could be added for free once they are 25+ with full license (Thats insuring it private) Its all a bit confusing.

A car derived van is not a subsitute for a car, don't put a baby seat or baby in the rear of the van. Besides the danger of injury or worse to the child it is illegal to carry passengers in the rear and your insurance will probably be null and void.

To claim VAT back on diesel you need to be registered for VAT in the first place which means you more than likely need to own a company or business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Having had a carvan up until recently and using the M1 toll regularly, I never paid the van rate, even if I went to a lane with a cashier, I just handed them 1.70 and they never said anything (obviously depends on who you get), then I got an eazy pass after a month or so and just ticked the car rate, never had any problems, even if I had to use a cashier lane (sometimes the machine doesn't read the tag correctly).

Also I had it insured with quinn direct privately, the policy said I could drive other private vehicles, so long as they weren't other carvans or jeeps altered to carry extra loads (basically other commercially vehicles) or something to that effect, don't remember the exact wording, but it's the same policy as if it was just a normal car.

Advertisement