Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Drivers - Have we gotten that bad?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Yet, still count to 3 I shall :p

My life. Not yours. Suit yerself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tracey29

hey i was just reading your story with interest, and found myself nodding like mad in agreement to all of your points. i consider myself a careful diligent and polite driver, but there isnt a day that does by anymore that some ape pulls out in front of me, or doesnt know how to use a roundabout or lanes or just plain ego on the roads! no one has any patience anymore and motorists behind even blow me out of it if i let one car out, for go sake if im stuck in traffic and going no where fast its only courteous to let someone out, im shocked at the manners of some drivers, dangerous over taking and pure messing! driving isnt fun in this country anymore im always on alert for the next gobhsite who is going to pull out in front of me! its nerve wracking!
    anyway enough of a rant but im glad i read your story because i think its happening everywhere and something needs to be done!!!!! cheers
    !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Bluetonic wrote:
    Let me simply this.

Do you think you are more in control of a car whilst?

(a) accelerating or braking
    (b) coasting

As a hint, you'd fail the driving test for coasting.

I don't for one minute minute disagree that you can't slow down by deaccelerating, and you don't always have to touch the brake. My original comment is based on the OP saying 'i just stop accelerating', which I take to mean he lifts his foot off the accelerator and coasts. Maybe he means he deaccelerates.

Coasting is letting the car freewheel with the clutch in, reducing the throttle is called slowing down. You'd want to be a right tit to drive like this.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm

102: Coasting. This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. Do not coast, whatever the driving conditions. It reduces driver control because

* engine braking is eliminated
    * vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
    * increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
    * steering response will be affected particularly on bends and corners
    * it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

he realised this a couple of pages ago

Advertisement