Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping Mobo etc - likely problems?

Options
  • 14-08-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I built my first PC two years ago ..

Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 4200 X2, 1Gb, 2 x 6800GT in SLI, 2 x HDD RAID 1, 2 x HDD standalone, XP

Its starting to creak a bit with the latest games and I want it to be Crysis / BioShock capable .. so am considering a total motherboard replacement.

Looking at an Asus Intel 775 board this time .. probably a Quad Q660 ..

Key question is .. can I plug my HDD's into the new board and expect it to work to some degree or am I looking at a total Windows XP re-installation etc ?
    :confused:
    Thanks,

Ix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You probably can, but its a 50% chance. ITs worked for me before but that was using the same chipset. So it would be best to format first. Dont bother with a quad, a top C2D will do just fine. And you will want to get a dx10 card too. Depending on monitor size. Obviously if its a smaller non widescreen get a 8800gts, if its a larger widescreen you will want a 8800gtx

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You will run into driver issues even if you remove the drivers!!
    Its a pain but back up everything you need and start from fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

yeah ive done this too and windows more than likely give u problems when you first boot up blue screens errors etc so its better to be prepared for reformat and reinstall oif windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

A transfer wont work because your primary HD with the OS sitting on it is a RAID 1 array I presume.

If the OS is not on the RAID array the transfer works like this

Step1: Back up all data
    Step2: Change your IDE/SATA controller drivers to the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" driver in the device manager.
    Step3: Uninstall all drivers possible though add/remove in control panel
    Step4: Power down and swap motherboard.
    Step5: Power on & cross your fingers : )

Advertisement