Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what road bike size

Options
  • 14-08-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi, can soneone please tell me what road bike size , im 168cm ?? my bike shop sole me a 49cm , then someone told me i should be about 53.5 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

toca7 wrote:
    hi, can soneone please tell me what road bike size to buy , im 168cm ??

Standard advice would be to demo a few sizes and see wha fits best. I'm sure there are sites with recommended sizes. I'm 175cm and ride a 56cm if that helps.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My general rule of thumb is... you should be able to stand of the cross bar with about an inch to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 toca7

mloc123 wrote:
    My general rule of thumb is... you should be able to stand of the cross bar with about an inch to spare.

i have about 2 inch's above the cross bar ( its lookin a bit small ) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'm 174cm in height and take a 54cm road frame for around a 4-5cm standover height....

You're 168cm in height, and they sold you a 49cm frame....

174-54 = 120
    168 - 49 = 119

Close enough for me at a ready reckoning, would you not agree?

Of course, you are no doubt aware that the standover height on a compact/sloping geometry frame will be greater than a 'tradional' frame with a horizontal top tube, aren't you? Which would mean that if your top tupe is sloping, your standover height would be an extra couple of centimeters.... Just like you describe....

To be honest, you sound like you're getting your cacks wrapped round your nick-nacks, over nothing.

If you've a problem with the sizing, complain to the bike shop...And then kick yourself a kick in the hole for listening to your know it all mate who suggests you need the non-existant frame size of 53.5cm.....Unless you're dropping a G at least on a custom frame....

Pure genius.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

toca7 wrote:
    i have about 2 inch's above the cross bar ( its lookin a bit small ) :mad:

Don't worry too much about the standover height of the bike - it makes no difference when you're riding. The important thing is that you're comfortable on the bike. Have a read of this article:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 toca7

Morgan wrote:
    Don't worry too much about the standover height of the bike - it makes no difference when you're riding. The important thing is that you're comfortable on the bike. Have a read of this article:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Ok problem solved , the bike is fine , its comfortable to ride , guy in bike shop done a good job ,,,
    many thanks to all that replyed ,,
    toca .....

Advertisement