Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Streets' Quiz

• 14-08-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Here's one to tax yer brain:

Name five Waterford 'Streets' beginning with 'W'!

i.e. 'something' Street!

I'll start you:

1. Water Street.

A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

alinton wrote:
    Here's one to tax yer brain:

Name five Waterford 'Streets' beginning with 'W'!

i.e. 'something' Street!

I'll start you:

1. Water Street.

A.
    2.Wellington Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Isn't there a street called "Waterford Street"?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

This is a Wadding st or is it Luke Wadding st??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

shapez wrote:

Not that I'm aware of, although in Dublin there is. It's off Marlboro Street on the northside (sort of up by Busáras/Connolly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

So we've got:
    1. Water Street
    2. William Street
    3. Wilkin Street
    4. Wellington Street
    5. ?

Luke Wadding Street doesn't count as it starts with L. Waterside isn't a 'Street' !

Anyone? There is one more. I bet no-one gets it.

Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Typhoon

washington street

now...see how many know where that is...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

If waterside isint a street what is it then ? Thats what its called on any OS maps of Waterford ( Similar to the Manor or The Mall but these could be called roads )
    alinton wrote:
    So we've got:
    1. Water Street
    2. William Street
    3. Wilkin Street
    4. Wellington Street
    5. ?

Luke Wadding Street doesn't count as it starts with L. Waterside isn't a 'Street' !

Anyone? There is one more. I bet no-one gets it.

Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Jambo wrote:
    If waterside isint a street what is it then ? Thats what its called on any OS maps of Waterford ( Similar to the Manor or The Mall but these could be called roads )
    Definitions of street on the Web:

a thoroughfare (usually including sidewalks) that is lined with buildings; "they walked the streets of the small town"; "he lives on Nassau Street"
    the part of a thoroughfare between the sidewalks; the part of the thoroughfare on which vehicles travel; "be careful crossing the street"
    the streets of a city viewed as a depressed environment in which there is poverty and crime and prostitution and dereliction; "she tried to keep her children off the street"
    a situation offering opportunities; "he worked both sides of the street"; "cooperation is a two-way street"
    people living or working on the same street; "the whole street protested the absence of street lights"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A street is a public strip of land adjoining buildings in a town or urban environment. It is often smoothed or otherwise prepared, e.g. with asphalt or cobblestones, to allow easier travel along and across its length. Rural and suburban folk often use the word street synonymously with road ; however, whereas road emphasizes travel along the length of the thoroughfare, street implies a greater degree of active street life. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street

therefore Waterside is a valid street

• Advertisement

Oh you pedants! I said "something Street"! i.e. the word Street in the name of the thoroughfare. Waterside is NOT called Waterside Street! The 'Street' proper noun!

However, Typhoon is correct - Washington Street is the elusive fifth Waterford 'Street'!

So the question remains- where is it? Only two of us know?

A.

Woo hooo...do i get a gold star???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was so curious that i decided to fire up google maps but any searches just brought me to cork and all of my fly overs of the city centre were fruitless! Where is it?!

Yes Typhoon, gold star and a plastic pig. (A teacher of mine used to hand out plastic pigs - but he was a bid weird).

Washington street is the lane, now not actually open to traffic, that goes round behind the Theatre Royal, the Protestant Cathedral and the motor tax office and joins up to Cathedral square.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Or how about the only street/road in Waterford without a name?
    Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

There was a lane running between newport square and green street that didnt have a name...we always called it "the sally"....some called it "the boreen"...the entrance from newports square has been blocked by the council...they built a few houses there ...stopped scum bags dumping their rubbish there.

so tecnically i dont know if its still there

A plastic pig.....a spider pig??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I know that lane alright Typhoon, wasn't aware that it didn't have a name.
    It's not the one am thinking of though, this one is about 300M long.

ooooh...ya have me there so.....any hints????

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

I had a look at Dan Dowlings Streets of Waterford book, and there is no other street that starts with a w, except the four you named, so when are you going to tell us number 5?

• Advertisement

Waterside was the 5th Street in the list .

If you want you can check all Waterford street names online if you use Waterford City Councils Planning Map Search , When a popup window comes up select search by street and search using wildcards like W* to list all city and suburbs begining with " W "

No, Waterside isn't a 'Street'! It's _not_ called Waterside Street!

The five are:

1. William Street
    2. Water Street
    3. Wilkin Street
    4. Wellington Street
    5. Washington Street.

There are no more!

A.

the one with no name is the road running from water street to park road !!!

plastic pig time?????

Strange how Historian Dan Dowling has no mention of a Washington Street in his book Streets of Waterford?

Typhoon wrote:
    the one with no name is the road running from water street to park road !!!

plastic pig time?????

Where exactly is this road ? If I am coming down Water St from the Lower Newtown Road , DLS on my right St Declans in front to the left , and I take the 1st Right onto Park Road ( The park will now be on my left and DLS College on my Right ) And I am now heading towards Newtown Road ( I can see Waterpark School in front ) but I cant seem to find the road or lane youare talking about .

Perhaps this unnamed street Is like " Washington Street " which is seemingly hiding from us Waterfordians and The City Council alike ?

Please someone put me back in my place if im wrong here !!

I had a look at the 1998 Ordinance survey map for Waterford City and there is no Washington Street on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Jambo wrote:
    And I am now heading towards Newtown Road ( I can see Waterpark School in front ) but I cant seem to find the road or lane youare talking about .

At this point (with Waterpark in front and DLS on right) you are on the street with no name.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Originally Posted by shapez

Not that I'm aware of, although in Dublin there is. It's off Marlboro Street on the northside (sort of up by Busáras/Connolly).

There's also a "Waterford Street" in London, near Stanford Bridge stadium !
    (-valuable piece of info, eh)

its on the maps as park road but thats not its official name...park road runs from the woodchester bank up to heatmerchants...

allinton can you confirm?

and washigton street is deffo there behind bishops palace

• Advertisement

Typhoon wrote:
    its on the maps as park road but thats not its official name...park road runs from the woodchester bank up to heatmerchants...

allinton can you confirm?

and washigton street is deffo there behind bishops palace

Ok If you say its park road , but to think that all the people that work for the OS Ireland and Waterford City Council are somehow working together to mislead the public on swapping street names around is absurd !

And as for Washington St behind the Bishops Palace thats called Cathedral Sq which in turns leads onto Henrietta St , Baileys New St and Geryfriars , am I missing something here ?

Sorry if Im coming across here as argumentive but im just curious as to where these streets exist if the even do !

Advertisement