Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Streets' Quiz

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Typhoon wrote:
    the one with no name is the road running from water street to park road !!!

plastic pig time?????

Pigs all round! Congrats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Typhoon

Jambo wrote:
    Ok If you say its park road , but to think that all the people that work for the OS Ireland and Waterford City Council are somehow working together to mislead the public on swapping street names around is absurd !

And as for Washington St behind the Bishops Palace thats called Cathedral Sq which in turns leads onto Henrietta St , Baileys New St and Geryfriars , am I missing something here ?

Sorry if Im coming across here as argumentive but im just curious as to where these streets exist if the even do !

yeah yeah your stirrin sh*te ha ha :D

seriously washington street is there...i'l have a look for some old maps see if i can confirm it.

ya know that saying if you want to know the time ask a police man...well..if you want to know the address ask your Postie

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

There's also a "Waterford Street" in London, near Stanford Bridge stadium !

That's Waterford Road,you're thinking off.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=51.47875,-0.190372&spn=0.005559,0.014462&z=16&om=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Dac51 wrote:
    At this point (with Waterpark in front and DLS on right) you are on the street with no name.;)

This is called Roches St.There used to be houses here on the DLS side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

mad man wrote:
    This is called Roches St.There used to be houses here on the DLS side.
    Roaches street is (was) a Cul De Sac, the road I'm on about is the next right as you head down the hill. It Joins Water Street and Park Road and runs along the side of the Park.

• Advertisement

Roen wrote:
    Roaches street is (was) a Cul De Sac, the road I'm on about is the next right as you head down the hill. It Joins Water Street and Park Road and runs along the side of the Park.

Is this the street betweeb De La Salle and the Park?

I thought this was Roches St.

If its not can you tell me where Roches St is or was?

mad man wrote:
    Is this the street betweeb De La Salle and the Park?

I thought this was Roches St.

If its not can you tell me where Roches St is or was?

No Need.I checked it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Typhoon wrote:
    its on the maps as park road but thats not its official name...park road runs from the woodchester bank up to heatmerchants...

allinton can you confirm?

and washigton street is deffo there behind bishops palace

I've got a 1984-ish street map of Waterford, and Washington Street is marked. Runs down the side of the Pro-Cathedral, behind the 'City Engineers Building' (was that the Bishops House?), behind the Theatre and joins to Cathedral Square.

My map shows the street along the back of the park, but doesn't show a name!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

"Waterford Road" so it is !
    Thanks Sloopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

I have that 1984 city map and there is no "Washington Street" marked on it,and i cant understand how part of Cathedral Square could be called that, a square is four sides, so if one side is called something different it can hardly be called a square!

• Advertisement

navalus wrote:
    I have that 1984 city map and there is no "Washington Street" marked on it,and i cant understand how part of Cathedral Square could be called that, a square is four sides, so if one side is called something different it can hardly be called a square!

Washington Street is the opposite side of the cathedral than the square. As Typhoon confirmed, it runs from the Bishops Palace, behind the Theatre, then meets the corner of the square.

A.

So can you tell me then why its not on the 1984 and 1998 Ordenance survey map? And you would think the Historian Dan Dowling would have mentioned it in his book "Streets of Waterford" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Typhoon wrote:
    its on the maps as park road but thats not its official name...park road runs from the woodchester bank up to heatmerchants...

allinton can you confirm?

and washigton street is deffo there behind bishops palace

Here is Current OSI map from waterfordcity.ie showing park road

parkroad.jpg

As far as I remember from pictures hanging inside DLS and in the City archives Roches street would have been on the DLS entrance from Water ST ( Or maybe slightly more towards the playing Pitch directly infront of the gym )

navalus wrote:
    So can you tell me then why its not on the 1984 and 1998 Ordenance survey map? And you would think the Historian Dan Dowling would have mentioned it in his book "Streets of Waterford" ?

No I can't answer that. Its on an early 80s Waterford Street MAp (not OS) published by Waterford Corpo.

I'm telling the truth! Don't argue!

:)

A.

And i am telling the truth too, if people want proof just go to the waterford room in city library , and ask for the 1984 and 1998 ordenance survey maps for waterford city!

I must be making it up then.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

SLOOPY wrote:
    There's also a "Waterford Street" in London, near Stanford Bridge stadium !

That's Waterford Road,you're thinking off.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=51.47875,-0.190372&spn=0.005559,0.014462&z=16&om=1

True, last time I was in London a few year ago I was passing that road and seeing the name and having a camera on me at the time (I was a tourist after all) I decided to get a picture of myself under it. There was a traffic warden passing and thinking he'd be a safe person to hand my camera to I asked him to take the picture. He told me to **** off for myself. You just can't beat that London wit :D

Advertisement