Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing New Build On Friday - Questions To Ask?

Options
  • 14-08-2007 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

My fiancée & I are viewing a home this Friday afternoon. We're first time buyers and the house itself is a new build. Being both from the same town, we know the area and amenities quite well, but I'm just wondering if there's any actual construction / building related questions I should be asking...?

I'm thinking along the lines of "Is it GFCH or Oil?", "Is it wired for x y z?" - i.e. the really simple questions that we may kick ourselves for not asking. Sorry for the naivity here, but we've got to start somewhere :) Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

If it is an apartment/terraced/semi-d ask to have one of you go into the neighbouring property and talk loudly and see if you can hear it in the other apartment. Also if it has hard floors and there is another property above have someone walk around upstairs in heels and see what you can hear.

Also have a bang on the interior walls to see if they are properly sound insulated.

Also ask for them to drop the price by 10% for the craic. If they are new builds and they didn't sell them off plans they are probably in a tight spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I don't know about questions specific to the build but i would ask:

- What are the management fees & who are the mgmt company
    - What sort of heating is there
    - What is the story with visitor parking
    - When will the development be finished
    - Do you have a choice of kitchens/tiling etc
    - Exactly what is included and what is extra (my brochure listed things that weren't actually included)
    - What is the story with tv providers (e.g is it cabled for NTL, is it magnet, can you have a satellite dish)

I would also check out the reputation of the builders before you sign (oh how i wish i had done that!).

Check with your solicitor about what happens if the development is late.

See if the development is on www.neighbours.ie and ask for opinions from people who live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

"Is it GFCH or Oil?"
    Out of curiosity, which do you think is better?

What BC said also and maybe...

Check if the ensuite and bathroom are wired for electric showers as they both need to be wired direct to the fuseboard which is very difficult if you decide to add one later on.

Look at the attic to see if there is opportunity for conversion.

If semi-detached ask what kind of barrier is between homes - some new homes only have plywood with fire-barrier between them. Not exactly awe inspiring - your neighbours have argument and one could come flying through.

Ask was the insulation factory fitted and who made the timber frame - differing treatments used I believe which can affect how they last over time (although the timber frame has only 25 year guarantee).

Insulation under floor and attic - how much and what type.

What can they do with the PC sum's (many will boost the pc sums to secure a sale)

Who has bought other homes in area - investment properties mean renters which often means noise.

If you are considering solar panels in the future look at orientation and tank type (maybe try and have them thrown in) but I assume you already know the house your buying so should know that.

You could ask for an energy cert but I wouldn't wate my time really (practically meaningless)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

It might be wise to bring someone with a building background to take a look or do snag list. I regularly do snags lists for people who have bought off plans and contrary to popular opinion I often find little to complain about. However, in the past, I have found blocked drains, Whbs not properly fixed to walls, doors tight, Kitchen units off level, heating pipes leaking under floor etc.
    PS, I'm not looking for work here.

Advertisement