Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No tax = car not insured (Quinn-direct)

Options
  • 14-08-2007 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Is this true? My friend says it is. If your tax is expired then you are no longer insured. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

There may be only an excess to pay... depends on insurance company. But this will only be for cars not taxed over a certain period of time. There will always be a grace period after your tax runs out...

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Complete balony! If your car is not taxed, it is a garda matter only. Your insurance is still valid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Almost the opposite is true - you cannot tax your car without having insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

If your tax is expired then you are no longer insured. Thanks.

Tell your friend that's nonsense.

As linford said, you need insurance before you can tax, not the other way around.
    sicruise wrote:
    There may be only an excess to pay... depends on insurance company.
    Not sure what you mean here but insurance companies don't give a fiddlers about motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

If that were truen it would be like insuring you house and tehy not paying out because you didnt pay your leckey bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I 100% agree . You have to have insurance before you can tax your car! I think there is a standard wording on insurance policies stating that you are insured to drive the vehicle provided you hold a current licence for that type of vehicle or failing that , that you held one previously and that you have not been disqualified !

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭walshs3

Slightly off topic but i was stopped around christmas while on my second provisional licence. I had no L-plates up but had tax insurance nct etc. The guard informed me that because i did not have L-plates up my licence as not valid so therefore my insurance was not valid. Luckily ive past my driving test since.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

walshs3 wrote:
    The guard informed me that because i did not have L-plates up my licence as not valid so therefore my insurance was not valid
    It's not that simple. Although you were driving outside the limitations of you driving licence, the insurance company would have to honour any 3rd party claims anyway and would probably honour any comprehensive claims also. Technically they could pursue you to recover any 3rd party expenses but I've never heard of it happening.

(Many people are driving around on expired licences but they are still insured. Insurance companies sometimes ask "Do you have, or did you ever have a full driving licence?".)

PS - I'm not condoning either of these practises!

Advertisement