Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD 939 , Rdeon x800pro OCing advice.

• 15-08-2007 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm not too bad when it comes to pcs having built hundred of them at dell and a few at house for family or myself. The reason for needing the extra boost is for performance in ETQW. I feel as few tweaks here and and minor overclock could bring maximum fps with a good cfg.

What do you reckon i could squeeze out extra performance on stock cooling with these parts?

Athlon AMD 3500xp Winchester 2200MHz CPU
    Club 3d x800Pro 475/450 default clocks GFX
    Corsair 1gig xms3200XLPT 2-2-2-5 cl2 RAM
    Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard
    COLORS IT 500w PSU
    NEC 3520A DVD burner
    250 gig hard drive
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
    IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19" CRT

My current overclock pn the CPU is 2527mhz via mulitplier 9.5 HTT 266.
    MY GPU is normally 475/450 so thats now + 40mhz giving 505/490 but i reckon it could go a lot higher. I've seen figures as high as 520/460 on stock cooling? Current temo are cpu 37 and mobo 25!?? What temos should be starting to worry about?

If the general opinion says don't bother with the hassle and get a new system iI will do. But if all else fails a would an extra 2-2-2-5 gig of my ram and x1950 512agp do the trick? I'll be selling the pc to my bro afterwards so it would ne nice to leave him with a pc worthwhile compared to his current pc world ****e. I can get the card and ram for say 200 euro or less? Hes not online gamer just casual.

So basically how high an overclock can these parts go for? I'm on stock colling with one extra fan aimed at gfx card. Is it cheap to get a good coller and oc this pc to hell as its not worth much now anyway 400 euros maybe would u say? Might as well go for an insane speed and some cooling systems if they arwe cheap. Has anyone got good links or tutorials? As ive just started my crusade into overcloking.

Thank you for reading all bye.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Would start thinking about buying a 1950 Pro.
    Komplett are selling them for around €170 and up.

This your Ram?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=302393

If it is, its €135 for a gig.

(you could buy 2 gig of regular cas2.5 ram for under €100)

You are talking about €300 or so for an upgrade.

If you intend dragging another 6 months+ out of your rig go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I wouldnt bother wasting your time with that machine, no matter what you do with it, its just not going to play the game exceptionally well. Consider buying a cheap C2D like a E6320, 2gb of ram and a cheap 8800gts/ x1950pro. You will see a much higher increase in performance that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rapp

id probably go down the ebay or 2nd hand route for getting the ram and x1950pro - jesus that ram didnt lose much of its value but its not my exact ram. mine is xlpt -2-2-2-5 which I think is discontinued.

i think ill just wait it out for 2-3months and buy a new rig. Has nayone anything to add about ocing those 2 parts?

rapp wrote:
    i think ill just wait it out for 2-3months and buy a new rig. Has nayone anything to add about ocing those 2 parts?

It will prob make feck all difference to the running of QWET.

Overclocking the gfx card might give you an extra five frames if you are lucky, the CPU ocing won't make a huge difference either tbh.

The only thing to do to really increase frames is to buy a 1950 pro.

That will give you good performance in games at medium settings and drag the life of your machine out.

Anti's counter argument to this is of course is that any money spent on this system to improve performance, the performance you get for that money is much less than if you just ploughed that money into new system.

€300 will buy a core 2 duo, motherboard and 2 gig of ram easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rapp

been a few twists of late, whats happening is im going to buy a completely new rig and sell this one to my brother. He isnt a major pc enthusiast but does like the odd single player fps or flight sim etc. and would like to player older games like call of duty 2 or is it 3 now? with comfortable fps.

His current rig is celeron 2.4 pcworld sh1te with some x300 gfx card. So i was going to give him my rig updated with the x1950 agp 512 and an extra gig of corsair maybe 2.5 cl if i cant find my own at reasonable price. This should do him for all those games he plays, he doesnt play online and has no interest in next generation games etc. Would the x1950 for his case or could i get away wityh a more budget card like 7800gs or all those x800xts and 6800gts etc?

• Advertisement

rapp wrote:
    His current rig is celeron 2.4 pcworld sh1te with some x300 gfx card. So i was going to give him my rig updated with the x1950 agp 512 and an extra gig of corsair maybe 2.5 cl if i cant find my own at reasonable price. This should do him for all those games he plays, he doesnt play online and has no interest in next generation games etc. Would the x1950 for his case or could i get away wityh a more budget card like 7800gs or all those x800xts and 6800gts etc?

Wouldn't cut lower than a 7600GS/7600GT.

Advertisement