Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion about to explode!

Options
  • 15-08-2007 4:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Having a lot of plumbing problems in my house :(

In addition to really poor water pressure in the ensuite of the master bedroom, we have a problem where the hot water is constantly extremely hot coming out of the taps - dangerously so.

A plumber came out and replaced the thermostat timer/clock box in the hot press a few days ago.

Just now I was woken by a tremendous banging noise in the attic, the sound of pipes overheating, as if they were about to explode. Not wanting this to happen, I switched off the heating (it's timed to heat the water between 3.30-4.30am) and began to run off the hot water.

The water was spitting out the taps it was so hot. I got splashed with it and it was definitely at or over boiling point, which is obviously extremely dangerous.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Surely there should be something to detect when the water is overheating to cut off the immersion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the built in stat in your immersion element should be knocking on and off and keeping the water at about 60-65 degrees.

Have you both your gas heating and your immersion on at the same time?

It might be a case where there is so much hot water in the place that it is back feeding into the system, this can cause the pipes to hop.

Initially is sounds like the stat in your immersion is knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

It sounds to me like it's wired wrongly (pretty common). Replacing the thermostat has no effect when the thermostat is not in the circuit and cannot interrupt the supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You have the immersion heater on for an hour?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

mike65 wrote:
    You have the immersion heater on for an hour?

Mike.

I'm not sure if its an immersion or not :(
    It's just a box on the wall in the hot press, and it's timed to heat the water for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

While I can't see your set up, heating water in the middle of the night makes absolutely no sense unless you are on shifts and are showering and washing up at 5 am! Even then 20 mins on "sink" would be enough for a well run system.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Mine done this for a little while, then the immersion packed up completely... I haven't repalced and learned to live without it.... so has my electric bill !!

You may well need to replace it.

baud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

As an aside, I've had a couple of low cost thermometers fitted to my hot water immersion heater tank ...... I get a reading from the top and the same from the bottom of the tank .... both thermometers are mounted just outside the hotpress ..... if anyone needs a shower etc a quick glance shows the water temperature status .....

http://www.adherepromotions.com/images/tronic_home/pages/CK5010.html

(a remote sensor at the end of the cable illustrated on the unit above is simply taped to the top and bottom connections of the tank ...... and I also get the temp in the hallway and the time of day, all for free!!!! ..... :p )

My tank is time controlled for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes late afternoon ...... other times is manual switching .... a big yellow light bulb (low wattage) on the wall outside the hot press lights up whenever the immersion is on to avoid it being left on too long .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

mike65 wrote:
    While I can't see your set up, heating water in the middle of the night makes absolutely no sense unless you are on shifts and are showering and washing up at 5 am! Even then 20 mins on "sink" would be enough for a well run system.

Mike.

I presume its because electricity is a lot cheaper during the night.
    The management company looking after our house set it up for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good point Reyman,

I like the sound of your set up hobie, sounds like something from Family Guy

Night rates only apply to buisness no?
    The management company looking after our house set it up for us.

Jasus whatever happened to builders building a house then leaving the buyer to it? :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Reyman wrote:
    It sounds to me like it's wired wrongly (pretty common). Replacing the thermostat has no effect when the thermostat is not in the circuit and cannot interrupt the supply

Thats more than likely what it is .
    I only came across it once ,where someone obviously used the old cable with the new immersion and didn't bother wiring at the switch.

A sparks should be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If your immersion is heating the water and then your heating kicks in your tank will end up pretty hot allright...
    cheaper electricity at night only applies if you ring them up and sign up for NightRate (for which there is a fee iirc)

As has been said, heating the water for that amount of time (and for that long before you are going to use it) is waste.
    I shower after 15 mins on sink (and I have been known to wallow in there!)

Can you take a pic of the box on the wall?
    It could be just immersion or a electronic timer for your heating/water...

Does the boiler kick on at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

How about a mixing valve? Water should not be spitting out your taps at such a high temp for any reason.
    Pipes are banging because they are not fixed correctly, prob no insulation on them either.
    Defo get a sparks to check if stat is busted or just wired incorrectly.

Advertisement