Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has trouble with Anal Glands

Options
  • 15-08-2007 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

My dog has trouble with Anal Glands.
    I have heard that a change of diet might help.

Any suggestions as to what food is best?

Currently feed her Brandy Dog food & Brandy Dry food.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I feed mine Burns and it has all but eliminated the problem
    http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Loads of vets stock it - the contact details for Ireland are on there so they should be able to send you some samples and info etc

It also dramatically reduced the amount of poo too !

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Thanks for that, I will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Check that the food has no traces of Corn,

It's common that food with Corn causes these problems..

(most irish dog food doesn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi - I recommend husse. They're brilliant - my mates two dogs are on them and seem to be doing very well (they have a completely organic food that costs just over €60 for a 15 kilo bag - it has low feed rates) You can check them out at www.husse.ie - they have pdf files with all the nurtirional and feeding info on it. Also, try to empty your dog's anal glands. Many groomers will do it for you - you can always take your dog their once and ask them to show you how to do it - just stand to the side when you do (and also do pre or during bathing)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

To be honest i would ask your vet about removing them.
    Our Jess had a horrible time with her glands, it ended up that she had to get them emptied nearly every 2 weeks. It was horrible for her, they were always at her.
    She got them removed and it really made such a difference to her!
    Diet can sometimes make a difference but by the time you have found the food that tightens the stool up enough it could be at the stage where she far too uncomfortable from the change in diet to the glands acting on over time.
    I would seriously consider removal. If you have insurance they will cover most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Similar problem too with my dog and we switched to Hill's dry food and he hasn't had an anal gland problem in ages. Quality of diet and also consistency of a good quality diet (ie, feed him the same stuff all the time) worked for my dog anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Jess ate Royal Canin and only royal canin at the time, top quality food but unfortunatley it didn't help.
    If diet helps your dog that great! It can always come back tho so i would look into alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Animals_only

I would suggest not feeding canned food:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My mams dog has this problem, she gives the dog a cake of weetabix every day, (recommended by vet), and it seems to work.

P
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Sometimes you dogs anal glands need to be emptied and this can be done for your doggy at a dog grooming parlour when your dog gets washed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Thanks for all your replies.
    My dog has been to the vet twice to get the anal glands done.
    I have now changed her diet to see if this helps and got a fibre supplement from the vets which is suppose to help.

Fingers & paws crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Sounds like a pain in the hole! -:D

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement