Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunleer Trainstation

Options
  • 15-08-2007 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

anyone want to see this open ?

I think it would be good, it was open in bygone times, now with all the money in the country they can't pay another semi ingorant one like from drawdah t'stand dere and dispense tickets.. after she's finished her magazine ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

I do. Loads of people would use it, me included. They could at least put on a couple of trains in the mornings and back again in the evenings. Wouldn't need to be a full service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thumbs up to this. Nothing wrong with making the currently very intermittent Dundalk (not enterprise) trains to stop in Dunleer.

At least one TD, Seamus Kirk campaigned to get it reopened, but IÉ comments in a local paper this summer seems to rule it out:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

They're should be a station in Dunleer and they should work on getting a track to Navan and one to Monaghan too. It's fckin bullsh!t what's going on in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

my ma said that years back in dunleer there was more stuff like a fekking clothes shop and that sort of stuff.

ah well :(

what do ye lads be up to in dunleer anyway ? it's small do I know you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

I heard from an employee of Ianrod Eireann that a big developer who wants to put up a good few hundred houses has Koffered to build/develop the station as part of his PP application and this is currently up for discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

I Know a lot a people who have bought houses in Dunleer under the impression that it was going to re open! Its scandalous that its lying empty for so long! It would do so much for the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

I heard from an employee of Ianrod Eireann that a big developer who wants to put up a good few hundred houses has Koffered to build/develop the station as part of his PP application and this is currently up for discussion.

an Taisce knocked that on the head

the main reason that IE wont open the train station is the cost. They reckon that it could cost around €4 million.

A developer came forward, who has been trying to secure permission to build apartments close to the site of the station and said that they would pay the bill.

They are looking to build a couple of hundred flats/apartments, 10 retail outlets, a pub and gym. they would also have enough car parking spaces. A bridge would have to be built across the white river to accomodate the traffic and this would be done also.
    As a result of building the flats, a park would also be made as a recreation area for local children.

An taisce opposed this as it would remove a lot of green area. The put in an objection to the planners. When this was going on, the developers called a meeting in The Grove. The Dunleer Development Board were invited, as were an Taisce and any locals who wanted to. The DDB and locals attended but an taisce didnt.

In dunleer we want this open but cos of the actions of a few local people, it looks like it wont be happening, as it was refused.

now it is expected the developers will apply again but dunno what will happen.

Its a bloody disgrace tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Dunleer is fairly underdeveloped, and if the price for opening the train station is a hundred or so apartments, then so be it. The danger is that opening the train station will lead to even more development, which a town the size of Dunleer simply can't handle without more wide-ranging infrastructure improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

Bit off topic but I heard that Dundalk is to get a 2nd station where the train tacks meet the N52 to serve the College and Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

It doesnt really make sense when somewhere as small as gormanstown has a station, and there are probably a fair few folk driving to Drogs station from Dunleer every day, so they could ease congestion at that station. Can't see Dundalk getting a second station

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I think your forgetting the amount of people from Ardee and that area that could use it.

It would be a great idea.

the amount of people from dunleer, ardee, dromin, kilsaran, togher, annagassan that have to go to drogheda or dundalk is amazing

we should have it re-opened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Any updates on the Dunleer Station reopening, what a waste, only country in eu that hasnt a decent rail service, which is by far the best ,safest, and cheapest mode of transport in most eu countrys.

Lets keep this thread going and see can we get some action .

maca

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Drogheda could use one on the North side of the town as well. Cut down on the traffic through the town in the mornings.

Seems a bit daft , where would you put it , out at termon abbey .

There was always a station and a very busy one in dunleer can remember freight been loaded and unloaded there , and im only near the 40 mark.

Cant understand when a developer is willing to cover the costs to reopen the station with all parking etc , and then one Mr Crilly from An taisce objects and its turned down , this is the guy who went up for the elections and only got 60 0r so votes , he caused trouble in drogheda area with planning but had to upsticks and run .

Pity he didnt keep running . Anyone who knows him thinks hes a right D..K head.

Maca

Where in Drogheda would you like to put another station that would not cause congestion?

Dunleer st was one of the busiest between Dublin and Dundalk, seen freight been loaded and offloaded myself and im still the right side of 40.

Its unbeliveable one man can stand in the way of progress, Mr crilly of An taisce, this is the same man who was ran out of Drogheda, who stood for the local elections and only got about 60 votes d..k head.

And the developer who bought the land close by is going to pay for the refurbishmdent of the station and put in a carpark, but no theres a few fecking brambles that would have to be cut and where would the bees go.

Get a life Crilly...........

Battery went thought last post didnt make it . halloween i guess .

Maca

Mods delete as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

macadam wrote: »

From North Drogheda Environs
    Development associated with railway line

The Dublin / Belfast Railway line runs through the plan area. This affords the opportunity to create a new railway station in this area. The existing railway station is located to the south of Drogheda. If the northern environs of Drogheda are to be developed to the extent proposed, a strong argument can be made for the provision of a new railway station to service the newly developing communities to the north of the town.

It is, therefore, proposed in this plan that a new railway station be provided to the North of the River Boyne to service the new residential communities provided for in the plan. The preferred location for this is on lands in the ownership of C.I.E, located at the junction of the spur line to the former Irish Cement site east of the town.
    These lands fall within the functional area of Drogheda Borough Council and it is the policy of Louth County Council to work in partnership with Iarnrod Eireann and Drogheda Borough Council to secure the provision of this essential facility for the town of Drogheda and the sustainable development of its northern environs.
    However, if the provision of a new railway station at this location does not prove feasible, an alternative site within the plan area will have to be identified and the new station provided for within the master planning process.

In view of the possible development of a new railway station in this location, the adjoining lands are zoned for a mixed use development appropriate to a transport hub. Part of this development should be developed for park and ride purposes. This park and ride facility will be accessed from the road serving the existing Manor Park housing development off the Termonfeckin road. This road was developed to district distributor road standard and so can accommodate the traffic likely to be generated. In conjunction with the park and ride facility, high density residential, commercial and leisure developments and other uses will be permitted with associated small scale convenience and comparison retail units.

The new railway station will provide for commuting to Dublin initially, but can also provide for reverse commuting by persons living outside Drogheda. In such circumstances, commuters can travel to work in the new enterprises to be located within the industrially zoned areas in the plan area. In accordance with mobility management plans, companies or groups of companies will be encouraged to provide a shuttle bus service along the northern cross route between the industrial estates and the new station.
    There is/was plans for a ring road from the docks to the M1. Some of it is already built beyond Greenhills School leading up to Termon Abbey. This was/is :confused: meant to continue on from Termon Abbey to the M1. Not sure if it will ever get built now with things as they are. This would/will :confused: be ideal for anyone North of Drogheda getting to the station with minimal traffic issues etc. But as its a good idea it will probably never come to pass.

macadam wrote: »

There was always a station and a very busy one in dunleer can remember freight been loaded and unloaded there , and im only near the 40 mark.

Cant understand when a developer is willing to cover the costs to reopen the station with all parking etc , and then one Mr Crilly from An taisce objects and its turned down , this is the guy who went up for the elections and only got 60 0r so votes , he caused trouble in drogheda area with planning but had to upsticks and run .

Pity he didnt keep running . Anyone who knows him thinks hes a right D..K head.

Maca

joke innit

whats worse is this guy walks around town as if he has done us all a big favour.
    id say with the recent downturn in the economy, there is no chance of a developer stumping up €4 million now

unfortunately, i cant see it being re-opened in the next 5 years

Pity he would'nt do one to the aran islands or 5klms the other side, big splash for him there.

This small industrial town needs more progress, approx 180 houses in the last 8 years, and we were the first village to be by passed by the M1.

He gets on my fcuking t1ts,

Maca

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

macadam, the name calling does nothing for your argument.

• Advertisement

Understandable , and my apoligies, but i grew up here and went through the bad times in the 80s when all we had was basic eng for employment.

When we got the by pass , everyone said this village will start to grow and come alive then we get a resident who is anti everthing, and here we are back in a so called recession and Dunleer has not made any vast improvements since the start of the celtic tiger, ok we got the long over due extension to the secondary school, a new estate albeit with a struggle.

If these anti's thought anything of the area they should get more involved in trying to help this well placed town grow, and not to be knocking it back.

Maca

PS. dont mean to offend anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

In all fairness, one resident, who happens to be a member of An Taisce, is hardly the sole cause of Dunleer's problems, macadam.

Also, I fail to see how a railway station primarily designed to take people out of Dunleer to jobs elsewhere will create anything other than some services jobs for the town, if more housing were built there. It's highly unlikely, given the current economic climate, that there will be any high number of new houses built in Dunleer, and, if they were built three to seven years ago, it would hardly make any difference.

The motorway has been there for years and years now, and it has provided a great transport link to other parts of the country and beyond. Road transport is much more flexible than rail transport, so that was, economically, more important to Dunleer than the train station, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I think your forgetting the amount of people from Ardee and that area that could use it.

It would be a great idea.

Bingo...

There is a savage amount of people from the Ardee area commuting to Dublin for work. Would be great to see it open again..

Road transport system is not much good if your stuck at the Balbriggan slip road for an hour or so and travelling at 2klms an hour to the city and then pay €25 to park for the day everyday.

Why does the train stop at all the smaller villages or townlands, ie Gormanstown and the likes when Dunleer could cater for all of mid-Louth and take all of those cars either driving to the city or Drogheda off the road at an early stage .

I have travelled all over Europe and Ireland has the worst rail transport system of all.

No matter where i go i use the rail system , most of them dont have ticket collectors just the odd spot check so you have no queing anywhere, simple and fast.

Maca

Advertisement