Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting problems

Options
  • 15-08-2007 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Have a strange problem and was just wondering if anyone has any ideas. In my living room I have two ceiling spotlight bars (B&Q about 4 yrs old) with 4 bulbs in each, both are controlled from a double dimmer switch. All was well until about 6 months ago when I turned on one of the lights it tripped out the circuit, when I turned the juice back on at the cicuit board I discovered that one of the spotlight bulbs had blown. So I replaced the bulb, then very strangely the light fitting would no longer dim, it would only operate full on or off. I assumed that the problem was a dodgy switch so off I went down to Woodies and bought a new double dimmer (cost nearly €50 :eek: ). I replaced the switch and the dimmer function worked perfectly again. All was well till last night - turned on the light again and the exact same thing happened, bulb blew, circuit tripped now I have no dimmer facility again just on and off. I can't figure this out for the life of me, don't fancy buying another new switch for the same thing to happen in a few months! Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Garry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if the light fixture is the 12 volt type it would have a transformer built in which in a lot of cases the transformer is not a dimmable type. this can be rectified by removing the traffo from the light and bringing it to an electrical wholesaler and asking for a dimmable type with the same dimensions.
    if the light is a mains voltage with bulbs like gu-10 then it could be down to heat of the wrong wattage bulbs.there should be a little sticker on the fixture stating the maximum wattage allowed.ive found a lot of the light from woodies and b&q are not well made and could be prone to problems.
    also when you turn down the light by the dimmer does the light flicker

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I'd suggest that the lamps are to blame.
    Good quality lamps have a fusible section built in to the filament to prevent high fault currents damaging dimmers,transformers etc.
    The far Eastern cheapies don't always have that.
    So it's another new switch, and change all the lamps for decent ones.
    The better dimmers (MK) have little fuses in them to protect them from fault currents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where would you get good MK switches and other such fixings?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MK do a range called Logic Plus that has dimmer switches in it specifically aimed at mains voltage (and 12V via a suitable transformer) halogen bulbs, with soft start and smart overload protection. They're pretty expensive but worth it. I searched high and low but eventually got it online from Radionics as I was ordering some more stuff from them as well (they have a minimum order amount that was more than the cost of the switch!). Others here may know other sources, online or bricks and mortar, I'm sure.

I have one connected to a 4x50W GU10 setup and it works fine.

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=3064&rangeid=1030

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i deal with michael gary ltd in finglas just off the m-50. i know they do mk stuff and also bg is something similar. they do some nice flat plate ranges in various coulours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

B&Q do MK switches...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

National Electircal Wholesalers bring it all into the country, Kellihers electric and T O Reillies are agents.
    Richmund dimmers are more or less the same as MK if you can get them.

OP are they 4 x 50W buibs in each? ie 400W of diming, some dimmers are only rated for 250W, most are 500W and I'd get 750W myself.
    I'd stay away from B&Q lighting to be honest, alot of their stuff is poor quality re packaged stuff from China.

BTW 50 Euro for a non brand dimmer is maddness

Advertisement