Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 students get 8 A1s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's 8 A1s.

Silly rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

SyxPak wrote:
    It's 8 A1s.

Silly rabbit.

Ah thanks for spotting that.

*goes back to edit*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My second cousin was one of the people who got 8 A1's. I got 385. Am I jealous...not a bit. I got my first choice. Happiness is the key for me, and sure theres good money in teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

One of my good friends got his 8 A1s, and tbh throughout the year he didnt strain himself with study, just took it at a nice pace..... Some people can do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I know one of the 11 personally. I will just call him Eamon cos he doesnt know im writing this. He is a machine when it comes to books. He doesnt have the most amount of "street smarts" but he will be fine in anything he choses. Hes going into medicine. I dont know if he will have the personality for it but he will be good at it anyway.

When he got his results, he just shrugged it off as if he already knew. Crazy! Suppose he did get 785 in the MOCKS! insane. Im quite jelous :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

A mate of mine got 7 A1s and an A2. Not lacking socially either. Still, he's having maths rechecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

One of the guys who was in my school got 800. He was a sound guy alright, but no he didn't have a life :( On the other hand, he can say "Ya well I got medicine, the other two were just backup" Fair enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He got 800??

mars bar wrote:
    He got 800??
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How the?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

8x100pts=800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You can't literally get 700 or 800, it's just a common way of expressing someone getting 7 or 8 A1s(ie. 600 points with 1/2 A1s to spare).

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

slumped wrote:
    OR

Think of it as 11 students will will earn significantly more than you over the next 40 years!

Honestly that is the greatest load of Sh*te I have ever read!! I did a fantastic LC, had my choice of courses (medicine, vetinary,pharmacy etc etc) and ended up making a wrong decision and def don't earn anything like I could have if I had chosen something different. I followed my heart (at least I thought I did!!) and now am relatively unhappy in my career and wondering what am I to do about it.

Get that out of your head now. Big points does not equate to big bucks neccesarily!!! Alot of it is luck! My other halfs course was 420 and he earns as much as a pharmacist does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackjack555

I got 600 points but i am by no means a loser with no social life!! It infuriates me when i see so many of you begrudging those who studied to the best of their ability - simply because their capability may be superior to yours.

Also, i agree that maximum points does NOT automatically translate to huge salary and great career. It doesn't. Yet, it shows that that person is ambitious, capable and hard-working.

End of rant............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Hear hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

No information about where they're from, who they are etc. yet.
    But still...

I feel inferior....

one of 'em is from my school, her name in Martina and my school is Castleknock Community College

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

One of them goes to Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I know one of the 11 personally. I will just call him Eamon cos he doesnt know im writing this. He is a machine when it comes to books. He doesnt have the most amount of "street smarts" but he will be fine in anything he choses. Hes going into medicine. I dont know if he will have the personality for it but he will be good at it anyway.

When he got his results, he just shrugged it off as if he already knew. Crazy! Suppose he did get 785 in the MOCKS! insane. Im quite jelous :D

I think everyone in our year accepted from day one that he would get that though-i think we all expected it more than him:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If you are capable of 600 and not lazy, go for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Many of the top business men, dropped out of school, failed exams, never went to college.

while this may be true of our mothers and fathers its extremely difficult these days to have the same luck. its difficult to get by in any profession these days without business training. on the site experience cant always cut it and far fewer avenues of high paid jobs are left open to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mise19

i got 570 points myself, only did 7 subjects and one of them was pass maths. most important thing is that you get your course. At the end of the day getting into college would be most people's main objective.

I didn't do any grinds at all, and i'm sure the vast majority of the students who got 8A1s did do grinds.

Personally, I think grinds are way overused these days. When we go to college, we'll have to work by ourselves and those who do too many grinds might not be able to cope with that!

Also, some of those students could have been repeating.

Anyway, well done to them.
    But in my opinion the real success stories are the people who exceed their own expectations and whether it's 360 points or 600, everyone deserves just as much recognition for their achievements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I know this is going off topic but meh - I dont think that there is much wrong with getting grinds. I had a very - how should i put it politely - substandard chemistry teacher. Sound man tho, and he knew his stuff, just maybe teaching wasnt the profession for him. I know i would have gotten my points without getting grinds but i felt that because i will be doing chemistry this year, it will be good to have a solid foundation. It might be unnecessary to get grinds in a subject that you dont need next year or need the points for. Initally i got grinds in maths and chem because i wasnt achieving as well as i wanted to, points didnt really come into it.

/end offtopic-ness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

If someone got 8A1's they clearly enjoy learning, I only needed to pass my leaving to get my course, but I ended up with lots of extra points. I was purely studying for myself, you spend thirteen or fourteen years in school, so you might as well put in a bit of effort in the end. I enjoyed school, so it was relatively easy to get what I got. The people with buckets of A1's are probably pretty smart in the first place. They were only doing it for themselves, like a person who plays sport will spend hours in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I wonder if they simply slipped some €50s into the papers? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Speaking from experience, guy in my college class, got over 500 points, was out by Christmas. For some reason just couldn't adjust to the different learning environment. That and he was a bit socially retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Turns out I know one, and we'll be doing the same course next year.
    Cue me vainly trying to exert some sort of superiority. ftl.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Turns out I know one, and we'll be doing the same course next year.
    Cue me vainly trying to exert some sort of superiority. ftl.
    Who Patrick is it?

Gangsta wrote:
    Who Patrick is it?

What he is doing Med NUIG too? Fuck sake, that'll mean two of them.
    Nah 'tis the *real* 8A1'er from Taylors, grinds schools don't count :p .

Lol yup he's going there too and a few mates with 600s lol. Ah no, that's harsh he worked really hard and is bright.

btw....what happened to the dream http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055057754&referrerid=&highlight= :D:D?

• Advertisement

You think that's bad? Only 10 months earlier I thought I'd be doing Accounting.

Advertisement