Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slate closed?

Options
  • 15-08-2007 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Anyone hear anything about the Slate pub being closed? I've heard it's for good due to the usual reason - lack of business. One of the few bars in Cork I enjoyed going to! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I was never there, but I heard it was just like the Quad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dammit, that was one of our locals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Steve_H

plazzTT wrote:
    I was never there, but I heard it was just like the Quad?

I wouldn't say 'just like' - I suppose it's similar in that it's more casual than Reardons or the Bailey *shudder* - but it's a bit more mainstream at the same time. I've ended up there now since none of my mates want to go to the Quad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Not enought business? Anytime I was in there, there was a good crowd.

Not enought business? Anytime I was in there, there was a good crowd.

Were you ever in there before 11.30pm though? Almost a guarantee that before then you'd only have 10-15 people in there. Good few nights we'd head in there around half 9 and it would be empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Pubs are a dying breed...
    Nancy spains closed too and that seemed to be doing a roaring trade...

3 pubs in my hometown have closed the past year...
    We'll have to drink at home i tells ya!

Nancys is open again though isn't it? Behind the new off-licence?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, was one of the weird things with the Slate. Fantastic pub but it became one of the BBC locals because we knew that if we got in the door before 11:30 we'd most likely be able to get a table for however many of us were there. Thought they'd managed to keep the business ticking over with the late-night takings, it always seemed to be jammers after 11:30 on a friday and saturday.

Bugger! It was one of the only late bars in town that didn't completely suck ass. *sigh*

(And no, this does not mean the veto of the Bróg is lifted...)

Fysh wrote:
    Yeah, was one of the weird things with the Slate. Fantastic pub but it became one of the BBC locals because we knew that if we got in the door before 11:30 we'd most likely be able to get a table for however many of us were there. Thought they'd managed to keep the business ticking over with the late-night takings, it always seemed to be jammers after 11:30 on a friday and saturday.

Bugger! It was one of the only late bars in town that didn't completely suck ass. *sigh*

(And no, this does not mean the veto of the Bróg is lifted...)

Ha, yeah I'm very rarely in the brog these days too - showing my age. Just once in the last year for a gig. Same struggle here as well with the late bars - I don't mind the Crane Lane during the week - but far too busy at the weekends...

The BBC used to go to the Slate?? God I hope Graham Norton wasn't with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I liked the place myself. Headed in there a bit. It looks like drinking at home is taking over alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Steve_H wrote:
    The BBC used to go to the Slate?? God I hope Graham Norton wasn't with ye.

Heh, when I say BBC I mean Boards Beers Cork i.e. when dahamsta, JohnK, Blitzkrieger, myself and a few others get together and go out for pints. And, on many occasions (such as the last succesful one) end up drunk enough that one or more of us is politely asked to vacate the premises.

(which reminds me, if the Slate is gone then that would mean that I got chucked out last time I was there. And then JohnK, who was even more drunk than me, tried - or rather, tried and repeatedly failed - to explain to the manager that the rest of the gang were leaving because I wasn't being allowed back in. Heh, good times....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

... and now they close due to lack of business. Do you smell that people? Thats the smell of Victory! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sucks if true. They had the old Gateway staff, who were the best around. Good music and nice crowd in there. Big loss if it is gone.

The Gateway's another loss, used to be a great pub but gone to the dogs now. *sigh*

are there any good pubs left in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Isn't The Gateway gone altogether now though? Last time I was in there, some old f**ker pissed himself at the bar on a barstool. Someone pointed it out to the barman while aul fella went to the toilet (a few minutes late I might add), he said its alright and served him again a few minutes later. Never darkened its doorstep since.
    JohnK wrote:
    are there any good pubs left in Cork?

Tom Barrys and The Oval are about the only two for me now, even though they are always jammed. Ziggys isnt too bad - it has a jukebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Another good one bites the dust. What the hell is happening people? Why are the cattlemart people winning?

Same reason Big Brother is still on TV. Collective stupidity.

The Slates not closed people, we were in there last night

Yeah, they have a sign up at the door saying it's shut on Mondays & Tuesdays but you can hardly blame them for that, they're not exactly huge nights out for the majority of people anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

There is a theory doing the rounds that we only imagined we were in the Slate the other night...

Could be. We did have a bit to drink...

Heh. I guess that's true, adam isn't usually an eager volunteer to be spanked unless he's on the outside of a few pints...

I'd completely forgotten about that. Now that I think of it, I think I have photos :eek:
    I'm afraid to check...

I was reminded about that today. And about A's peculiar grooming habits. And H having never seen a particular part of the female anatomy. It all came back in a gruesome rush. Except the last one, that's still lost to me.

I remember S molesting the drunk bint though, that was funny.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 azi

dahamsta wrote:

If that refers to me, I met her tonight. Wouldn't give me the time of day. *****, the lot of them...

S.

dahamsta wrote:
    H having never seen a particular part of the female anatomy. It all came back in a gruesome rush. Except the last one, that's still lost to me.

I'm still trying to work out how I managed to use the phrase "Biological Shotgun" in conversation, though I suspect it had something to do with H's description of her choice of partner...

dahamsta wrote:
    I think I missed that bit, do tell!

azi wrote:
    If that refers to me, I met her tonight. Wouldn't give me the time of day. *****, the lot of them...
    Jays tis himself!

Errah she was out of her mind on more than drink and she went for the longhairs, so probably a lesbian. You know me and lesbians; as someone said on the night, that's why I'm in such a rush to get married, lock her in. :)

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    You know me and lesbians

All I know for sure about you and lesbians is that you copied your current hairdo off one...

Advertisement