Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom.net SMTP problems anyone?

• 15-08-2007 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had problems over the past week sending or forwarding e-mail from
    my eircom.net account to my Yahoo web mail account. I'm using
    Thunderbird but I've also tried Outlook express and no joy. I get bounced
    email error replies the following day telling me that the qsend program
    at eircoms end is failing to make a connection for yahoo.com outbound
    addresses. I've also tried (unsuccessfully) to send email to my wife's
    YahooMail account. I've tried using both mail1.eircom.net and mail2.eircom.net
    as the outgoing SMTP server address. Email delivery to other addresses
    is working fine, eg: to my gmail account and other work related colleague
    accounts.

I spoke to eircom support about it and they say there is a problem with
    their servers being smothered by a huge increase in inbound spam emails
    but I think this has nothing to do with the issue I am seeing.
    Can anyone with an eircom.net account see if they can successfully
    send emails to a yahoo account. PM me if you need my email address
    for testing purposes as I think I'm getting nowhere with eircom.net
    support.

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helpdesk

We have the same issue. it appears some eircom.net relays are registered as spam relays at spamhaus.org.

So some e-mail from eircom.net arrives and some is rejected

we even have an issue where some CC:'ed users receive the e-mail and some don't :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It makes no difference if you use mail1 or mail2, they both resolve to the same IP. Even then, neither of these IP's are actually responsible for sending anything, as a big load balanced network of 20+ servers then take over and it's a pure lottery which one you get allocated. Some of these appear on and off on various SPAM block lists, and so mails sent through these never get through.

What makes it worse is that if you send to multiple recipients, they'll each potentially be sent through a different outgoing server, so it's a lottery which ones get through and which ones don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helpdesk

I agree,

Why is one e-mail CC:'ed to others split and then re-sent thro' different relays ??

e.g. If you have a large attachment e-mailed to a user1@server.com & CC:user2@server.com,user3@server.com
    It's traffic & size is multiplied by a factor of three ?

If server.com uses RBL then some or all or non may receive the e-mail ???

Is eircom.net on boards, I cannot join their "community" forums be cause I'm not an eircom customer.

However eircom.net customers have reported similar issues & received a stock reply
    http://community.eircom.net/t5/E-mail-Online-Services/Spamhaus/td-p/14639
    http://community.eircom.net/t5/E-mail-Online-Services/Mails-not-delivered-no-2/td-p/12685

Advertisement