Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failed maths, options ?

Options
  • 15-08-2007 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

i told you all it happened, i got an E in honours maths, options for me ?

i want to go to dcu for engineering (laughable i know but can anyone help ?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

recheck or resit

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Sorry to hear that Stephen, I'm not doing the leaving (few years past that now!) was just browsing to see how boarsdies got on.

But I have to say that you should definitely get it rechecked or appeal the result. Afaik a recheck just recounts your marks on the paper and an appeal does a complete remark on it. The fact that you got a E (only one away from a pass) means that you could quite easily be brought up in mark enough to pass. I know there's a possibility that it wont change the mark but definitely try, I know of numerous people who appealed and had their marks changed.

Also, I know of people who have had their place in college held pending the appeal so that when they got the results (around the start of October iirc) they were able to join the course they originally wanted.

Best of luck and just remember its not the end of the world. Taking a year out to work and possibly resit the maths exam is also doable. I know you might want to go straight into college, dont want to 'waste' a year, etc. but in the long run its definitely worth it. I had people in college with me in their fourth year who had no interest in what they were doing. I dont see the point in this at all, if its what you really want then its worth waiting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

yeah i was considering the job for a year then repeat option, and yeah im going to get a full appeal done to see can i scrounge up to the necessary 40 to get a d3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Without meaning to sound harsh, or to generalise, but if you're failing maths are you sure you're cut out for engineering?

well i got a b1 in engineering and a c1 in physics and ive soldered more circuits as a hobby than any 17 year old should ever have. And i can program in 3 languages, nui maynooth gave me a school award for engineering too so i think i am suited to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I know some college's have an internal maths exam for those who failed Maths. I'd look up the colleges web sites or phone them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Did you have it down for DIT or anywhere else with lower requirements?

AFAIK in DCU there's a level 7 diploma you can do for 2 years without needing maths and then you get into the level 8 engineering course.

You'd have to have had it down though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

How did you do points wise? What I mean is when you count the other 6 subjects would you have gotten near what the points were last year? If you have a few points to spare I feel the best option would be to treat maths like an entry requirement, get a job for the year repeat just that subject and you should get in no problem next year, but if you were relying on it for points well then you have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭CrazyNoob

mental07 wrote:
    Without meaning to sound harsh, or to generalise, but if you're failing maths are you sure you're cut out for engineering?

Thats the type of narrow minded thinking that should be avoided.

I didnt do well in leaving cert maths it didnt stop me from getting a Masters in engineering, because there are lots of ways to study for those of us that dont fit into the system quite as well as mental07 would like

OP lots of options, recheck would be the first course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Hi
    Sorry about your results.The difficulty is for any courses in Engineering at level 7 and level 8 you require maths generally level 8 requires honours and level 7 a min pass .I would suggest you get a re-check this will only let you into a level 7 as its unlikly you will get an honours in the paper.Depending on your other five results you may have to re-think your course option. The maths is really going to snooker you if you do not get a pass.
    I would also agree with other contributers you need a good level in maths to complete Engineering or you will struggle in the course.

only Options: PLC AND REPEAT YOUR MATHS
    or Repeat leaving cert

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TOEJOE wrote:
    Hi
    only Options: PLC AND REPEAT YOUR MATHS
    or Repeat leaving cert

Or go out and work in an engineering (or related) firm, get lots of relevant experience and apply as a mature student.

There is ALWAYS another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Some colleges have maths exams before matriculation for people who failed, and if you pass you're in. Maynooth definitely does it, DCU might, email them.

right i do have maynooth down a level 8 course on my CAO , will they inform me of the exam or do i have to apply for something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I really don't know, ring them too? It's only if you have the maths course requirement (if your course requires it..baddd phrasing), and it's meant to be just for engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

CrazyNoob wrote:

I didnt do well in leaving cert maths it didnt stop me from getting a Masters in engineering, because there are lots of ways to study for those of us that dont fit into the system quite as well as mental07 would like
    Point taken. Maybe I was over-estimating the importance of maths in the larger scheme of things. I thought it was a major part of engineering, but if it's not, then fine. Stephen_C's reply above has assured me he's well capable of handling the course! :)

CrazyNoob wrote:

OP lots of options, recheck would be the first course of action

a masters :O what did you do to get into enginerring ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i applied for engineering in dcu 2 years ago. failed maths, thought, ah §hit... no engineering. the day of the cao offers, i got a letter from DCU saying that "we know you failed maths, but if you're still interested in engineering we can do an interview bla bla bla" or something along those lines.

i never went through with the interview... but wait till monday and see what happens. i repeated last year, if you're thinking of that, it was the hardest year i've had to do. all my mates in college, me in 6th year again.. it takes a lot of work, so if you're prepared, (and don't get that letter thing from DCU) then go for repeats.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Orange

This may be of interest in Maynooth

http://communications.nuim.ie/100807.shtml

big_moe wrote:
    i applied for engineering in dcu 2 years ago. failed maths, thought, ah §hit... no engineering. the day of the cao offers, i got a letter from DCU saying that "we know you failed maths, but if you're still interested in engineering we can do an interview bla bla bla" or something along those lines.

i never went through with the interview... but wait till monday and see what happens. i repeated last year, if you're thinking of that, it was the hardest year i've had to do. all my mates in college, me in 6th year again.. it takes a lot of work, so if you're prepared, (and don't get that letter thing from DCU) then go for repeats.

moe

:O :O by fail you mean an E right, not just the "failed at getting a c3" also did you apply for anything or did they just send you this letter out of their own will. also did you do anything special (A1's in engineering & a science) or anything lse that would warrant this or were you just a normal student,

also what sort of things did they look for in the interview, what did they want to know ? what was asked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i didnt do the interview. nah, i was an average student, i got the points requirement for the course (medical mechanical engineering) but failed maths (E). got a letter from them saying "come over if you want a second chance" basically.

moe

• Advertisement
Advertisement