Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overheating x1800xt

Options
  • 15-08-2007 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

just got a new mobo and processor and ram and when i installed them with my old graphics card i noticed the fan on the graphics card was running a bit fast. i checked the temp on ati tool and its idling at 73 degrees c. i wasnt sure if it was the card or the mobo making it run hot so i tried an identical card in it and its idling at 51 degrees. any ideas what it might be? should i just try some thermal grease on the gpu or is that a hard thing to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

<bert> wrote:
    just got a new mobo and processor and ram and when i installed them with my old graphics card i noticed the fan on the graphics card was running a bit fast. i checked the temp on ati tool and its idling at 73 degrees c. i wasnt sure if it was the card or the mobo making it run hot so i tried an identical card in it and its idling at 51 degrees. any ideas what it might be? should i just try some thermal grease on the gpu or is that a hard thing to do?

First thing to check is that there is no dust trapped in the cooler.

A bit of trapped dust will really raise your temps.

After that you could remove the gfx cards fan and apply some grease.
    (something like this would be best, Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy, which would permently bound the fan to the card)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=OA-001-AC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=27

Difficulty will depend on the lay out of the card and the type of pins that hold the fan in place.
    Usually not that hard if you have the confidence to do it :-)

You will however wreck the warranty and you do always run the risk that you will brick the card.

If you don't fancy applying the grease to the card, you could just mount another fan in your case blowing air on the gfx card.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

thanks i went ahead anyway and applied the thermal grease and it is back down to 55 degrees. it was tricky enough because i didnt really know what i was doing. thanks for the help uberpixie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Must try this myself. My x1800xt idles about 70 too, although it doesn't rise that much under load....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

My ATi 1950 XT idles at 64C and hits about 70 at full load but ive never had any problems with that it. My case has 2 system fans. what tool what you suggest i use to check temps?

Advertisement