Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

would you encourage your kids to do science?

• 15-08-2007 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Just listening to the news about how few people are taking higher maths and sciences in leaving cert and how this may lead to problems with our "knowledge economy" - got me thinking - if you did a science degree would you encourage your kids to.

I think if my kids showed academic inclinations I probably would, but if they wanted to do something else that'd be fine by me too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

In school it's a nobrainer, ya gotta do it, and that's good as it's vital to be exposed to everything. In college it's entirely their own choice, one they have to make completely by themselves.
    Often at that age if you attempt to give encouragement not saught after, it will have exactly the opposite effect. You've lost any kind of direct influence or control at that stage, and as a parent you really have to accept it.

If they came and asked me for insight/advice I'd give it to them, most likely putting it in a favourable light. But it would depend on their reasons for going into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

it depends on if they like it and how good they are. my parents never stopped me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Yes, definitely... Im just finished the leaving cert and I did chem, bio, phys and applied math, I didnt really see how it would be any tougher than choosing other subjects. I would be encouraging my kids from a very young age to be interested in math and stuff so hopefully theyll be encouraged themselves to take up the sciences by the time their LC comes around! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ArthurDent wrote:
    if you did a science degree would you encourage your kids to.

What about people with other degrees? Shouldn't their kids do science if that's what they're good at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

everybody should be able to think scientifically. it's a great advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 mini Maple

hi there, I did physics in college, and I am not sure i would encourage my kids (when i have some!!) to do a science degree, as i found it so hard to find a job. Everyone says the work force is crying out for science, but when it comes to it, I it so hard to find a job in the science field. and so many of my science buddies found the same. I guess Id encourage kids whatever they are good at regardless of where 'the good jobs are'

you will probably find that either math or languages run in the family, if you are 'math' minded, you generally find languages harder and will have to spend more time at that and if you pick up languages easily you most likely find math a bit of a struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Yes I would. Its an ideal career for someone who doesn't want to be desk based full time - or someone who is better at practical work as opposed to languages or learning.

I did science, and have always found it easy to get jobs. There are also so many areas of science to get into. I've never worked in a lab (I don't enjoy that type of work), but always in the science area. I have a nice mix of people interaction, logic and practical hands on work. Its fantastic.

Dinkie wrote:
    Yes I would. Its an ideal career for someone who doesn't want to be desk based full time - or someone who is better at practical work as opposed to languages or learning.
    Hmmm... I think that, almost by definition, there is quite a lot of learning involved with any kind of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

In the future when I have kids and when the time comes for them to start thinking about leaving cert choices or college, when they can cgoose to drop or continue with science, and if they are interested in it at all, I will share my experiences of science learning up to third level with them (i am of course hoping that I won't have any negative experiences over the next few years in college in that regard!).

It's something that's useful to have, interesting and challenging. There are many jobs available directly from having these degrees that are well paid and have exellent prospects, but even if they wanted a job that didn't require a science degree (like me) it would be an excellent thing for them to have under their belts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Slow coach wrote:
    What about people with other degrees? Shouldn't their kids do science if that's what they're good at?
    Absolutely - I guess where I'm coming from is that many of my fiends who did similar science degrees to me have specifically said that they would not recommend a career in science for reasons ranging from - difficulty in getting a decent job in academia to low starting salaries when compared to other career areas, to it being v difficult to move off the bench etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Sorry ApeXaviour,

I should have qualified. In my mind a lot of science is more understanding as opposed to learning - e.g. chemical equations, physic equation, etc. Of course it depends on the branch of scienc you go in to, but I find that if you understand the theory behind science, its more logical and easier to remember then most other subjects.

I was always useles at history, geography and english (learning those quotes and poems were a killer). It took time (And lots of patience from my teachers) but once I understood where things were coming from, everything clicked and science was the biz.

Yeah okay I understand now. Once I figured out that if I used more superlative adjectives (see what I did there?) in english, my grade went from a D to a B.

A formulaic approach... the only successful approach I had, so I went into science.

I still would never actively encourage my kids to go into anything though, for fear they might go into it (or not go into it, depending on how rebellious the individual) for the wrong reasons.

Advertisement