Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewing provisional licence

Options
  • 15-08-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi - my boyfriend's first provisional Category B licence is due to expire on Aug 31st - does anyone know the best/handiest way to renew the licence? He's gone to the Garda station to get the form today, but does anyone know can it be done via the post? And if so, how long does it take? And does he have to post in his current licence, and if so, can he continue to drive in the interim? The Nutgrove office is only open Mon-Fri from 9 - 3.30 which is a bit ridiculous, and it's always crazy in there - just wondering is there an easier way?? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If he goes to a local motor tax office as far as I know he should get a stamped receipt to prove its on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jmcwobbles wrote:
    does he have to post in his current licence, and if so, can he continue to drive in the interim?
    He must include his current provisional licence. He should get a photocopy (front and rear) before sending it off. Gardaí will accept this - they are accustomed to dealing with motorists who's licence is up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Oh cool that's good to know, thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

jmcwobbles wrote:
    Hi - my boyfriend's first provisional Category B licence is due to expire on Aug 31st - does anyone know the best/handiest way to renew the licence? He's gone to the Garda station to get the form today, but does anyone know can it be done via the post? And if so, how long does it take? And does he have to post in his current licence, and if so, can he continue to drive in the interim? The Nutgrove office is only open Mon-Fri from 9 - 3.30 which is a bit ridiculous, and it's always crazy in there - just wondering is there an easier way?? Thanks :)

It can be done by post. It takes about 7-10 days. All Dublin offices are open 9.30-3.30, how could they staff any other opening hours? If they opened till later the queue wouldn't be finished with until very late.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Photocopy would be a good idea but i wouldn't stress too much about being without the license for a few days. f he was pulled over he would have 10 days anyway to produce his license to the garda station of his choice. If he cant make it to the tax office then all he needs to do is get the form filled out and signed. Someone else (maybe you) can bring in the form and the fee (about €15) with his expiring license and make the application on his behalf. They will be given a pink slip to say that his license is in process.

You could use that Q4U place that they have in most shopping centres. They send off all that stuff but I wouldn't rely on it. My mate was waitin about a month for his license when he used their services.

Hope that's helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement