Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kryptonite NY Fahgeddaboutit U-lock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I have the Evolution Mini which is a tiny bit shorter and it will fit fine (road bike). It's a tight squeeze at times but you can't beat the portability.

Just carry it in your bag - although having it sticking out of your back pocket is quite fasionable ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Fashion is paramount, of course.

I've been looking at the Evolution Mini too but I'm afraid the knowledge that there's an even tougher lock than that (ie the NY one) is likely to torment me when I've left my bike somewhere for a few hours...
    Morgan wrote:
    I have the Evolution Mini which is a tiny bit shorter and it will fit fine (road bike). It's a tight squeeze at times but you can't beat the portability.

Just carry it in your bag - although having it sticking out of your back pocket is quite fasionable ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most kryptonite locks come with a bracket, mine was crap. The NY lock weighs a hell of a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

I use one.
    Yes it can fit the back wheel, frame and lamppost but it's very tight and on occasion, depending upon the surroundings, it doesn't fit.
    The mounting bracket is plastic and is crap.
    The lock is too heavy for cheap plastic.

Do you just carry it in a bag, then? Or keep it around the seatpost?
    jman0 wrote:
    I use one.
    Yes it can fit the back wheel, frame and lamppost but it's very tight and on occasion, depending upon the surroundings, it doesn't fit.
    The mounting bracket is plastic and is crap.
    The lock is too heavy for cheap plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The mini kryptonnite in the back pocket is a really hand "tool" for cars who cut you up....take that baby out and start swinging it and you'll soon see cars giving you back your road space....hence alot of people have them in their back pockets....courriers especially!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

pete4130 wrote:
    The mini kryptonnite in the back pocket is a really hand "tool" for cars who cut you up....take that baby out and start swinging it and you'll soon see cars giving you back your road space....hence alot of people have them in their back pockets....courriers especially!

Yes!! I've often fantasised about whipping out my Evolution mini to make motorists back off...... don't think i would have the nerve though, when push comes to shove.

The plastic bracket it came with lasted all of two months, so I took a heavier, beefier bracket from another OnGuard u-lock that i wasn't using and use that to mount the evolution onto my frame - also swopping over the OnGuard's metal clip so that it fits properly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

Hi!

I don´t have the NY lock, so I don´t know if it has a frame holder, but I had it on my hands when I was considering buying a new lock and I thought it was extremmely heavy. I have no doubts about its quality, but I didn´t find it very suitable to carry around with all that weight.

As an alternative, the ABUS Granite X-plus 54 is the top of the ABUS range, it has a security level of 15 (over a usual scale of 1 to 10), and the frame holder is quite good. It´s much lighter than the Kryptonite (about half), costs about the same, and I hope I won´t have to find out if it´s stronger than the NY in case of theft. You can find it in cyclesuperstore.ie, or get it next time you´re in Germany for about 30 EUR less (as I did!)

I have a big lock that I just leave at my locking point. Does anybody know what is the strongest/most secure lock per weight ratio, e.g. 1/2 as good as the NY but maybe 1/4 the weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Do you just carry it in a bag, then? Or keep it around the seatpost?
    No i actually am using the mount.
    Just i've made some changes like putting more padding (old inner tubes lightly sanded with heavy grade paper to provide more grip) between the mount and the bike frame so i could tighten the mount screw SUPER tight without breaking anything.
    Still, the mount has a tendency of rotating a bit while the lock is in it.
    Also, the place where the silver collar of the lock slides and locks into the mount is very tight. Somedays i wonder if i will be able to extract the lock from the mount it's that tight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ashj

I have the Evolution mini also - which is a tiny bit smaller.
    It will lock the frame to some of the smaller signposts - not lamposts or traffic light posts.
    So far bus lane signposts and street parking signposts are the best (perfect size for the lock). It fits so tightly that you have to lock one of the vertical or angled parts of the frame, because you can't twist it to put it over the toptube.
    It is rock solid, and I've no fear of the frame being stolen :)
    Also - Cyclelogical had it (relatively) cheap at 30-something euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Swinging a bicycle lock at someone driving 2 tonnes of steel doesn't sound like a good idea....

Yeah, I know what you mean. That new style of bracket Kryptonite use is a bit of a bugger for getting the lock out easily.
    jman0 wrote:
    No i actually am using the mount.
    Just i've made some changes like putting more padding (old inner tubes lightly sanded with heavy grade paper to provide more grip) between the mount and the bike frame so i could tighten the mount screw SUPER tight without breaking anything.
    Still, the mount has a tendency of rotating a bit while the lock is in it.
    Also, the place where the silver collar of the lock slides and locks into the mount is very tight. Somedays i wonder if i will be able to extract the lock from the mount it's that tight.

DarkJager wrote:
    Swinging a bicycle lock at someone driving 2 tonnes of steel doesn't sound like a good idea....
    Some of these assholes value the paint on their car more than other humans skin, so will avoid scratching their beloved paint job at any cost.

I never see people with those big reflective orange lollipops anymore, they used to stick way out to (try and) make cars leave more room.

Folks, I got one of these locks but it's just too damn heavy!

If anyone wants to buy it for the price I paid for it (€89.45), then reply to this before lunchtime. Otherwise, I'll be going to the post office to send it back to CRC.

The packaging is unopened and I have the receipt, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's always better to wait to see if you catch them at a set of lights or in traffic....wing mirrors are more delicate than I thought they'd be......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If anyone wants to buy it for the price I paid for it (€89.45), then reply to this before lunchtime. Otherwise, I'll be going to the post office to send it back to CRC.

The packaging is unopened and I have the receipt, by the way.

I think you would have got it cheaper (and less hassle) in Cyclelogical? I seem to recall one of my friends getting it in there for €75.

Actually, that's the first place I went. They haven't been able to get them in stock for weeks and even then they cost over 100!
    penexpers wrote:
    I think you would have got it cheaper (and less hassle) in Cyclelogical? I seem to recall one of my friends getting it in there for €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

It's interesting that the official Kyrptonite site doesn't tell you how much it weighs in the specs (at least i couldn't see it readily available).

But other sites have it listed as ~2KG.
    Ghost Rider, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but you could have held a 2 litre carton of milk in your hands to get an idea of what this feels like :)

Any idea what you might go for instead?

davej

Hindsight is wonderful thing, yes. And so is a basic knowledge of the metric system...;)

Reckon I'll go for the Evolution Mini. I also have a basic cable lock that I'll use with it. Even together, I reckon they'll be over a kilo lighter than the Fahgeddaboutit on its own.
    davej wrote:
    It's interesting that the official Kyrptonite site doesn't tell you how much it weighs in the specs (at least i couldn't see it readily available).

But other sites have it listed as ~2KG.
    Ghost Rider, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but you could have held a 2 litre carton of milk in your hands to get an idea of what this feels like :)

Any idea what you might go for instead?

davej

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

I use one of these in work with another d-lock for the front wheel. AHH... Peace of Mind!

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1168

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rubadub wrote:
    Some of these assholes value the paint on their car more than other humans skin, so will avoid scratching their beloved paint job at any cost.

I never see people with those big reflective orange lollipops anymore, they used to stick way out to (try and) make cars leave more room.
    I know someone who used to laugh at those stupid things, till he saw one with a nail melted into it for cars that came too close :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I think I also have the evolution mini. I've found the bracket to be fine, so long as your screw it in tightly. Its also really easy to get the lock out quickly, flick the switch and pull up. If you get good at it you could be putting your lock through a car's front light in an instant.

And no-one's stolen my bike yet... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Dont suppose you still have it on ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I was looking at one of them yokes in Cycleogical the other day. A heavy bastard indeed!

Putting all that weight on your frame must make the difference between a €500 bike and an €800 bike..

Still haven't made up my mind what lock to use either. I don't trust my cable lock.

Sorry, no. She's gone back up to Chain Reaction.
    flickerx wrote:
    Dont suppose you still have it on ya?

fish-head wrote:
    Putting all that weight on your frame must make the difference between a €500 bike and an €800 bike..
    Yeah, at least.

The old kryptonite site used to show weights. These heavy ones are only really suitable for premanently leaving at your destination. All day lockup, if you are popping into a shop for 15mins, a mid range kryptonite is hard enough to get through.

I know someone who used to laugh at those stupid things, till he saw one with a nail melted into it for cars that came too close
    Nice!, but too small to see on the road, maybe a pannier looking like a fake girl on a little pink bike.

Advertisement