Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for Broadband supplier in County Cork

Options
  • 15-08-2007 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a supplier of broadband (fixed or mobile) for a friend living in Coolduff, Lissarda in Co Cork? I've been down and 3/Vodafone coverage is non-existent (Killmurry) but O2 would appear to be present with reasonable strength. Any fixed or satellite solutions that anyone recommends?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

As far as I am aware there is no wireless providers out in lissarda.
    Satellite is not an option really. too expensive etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

O2 do have Broadband available in the Lissarda area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Thanks lads, I'm plumping for the O2 solution myself as it's to go with a MacBook.

I wouldn't even consider 02 to be broadband, hence why I didn't mention them :)

eoinok wrote:
    I wouldn't even consider 02 to be broadband, hence why I didn't mention them :)

Well, I'm hearing good reports of them in Cork city (I'm a 3 user myself). What would the expected speed from Eircom be? There doesn't appear to be any other alternative.

• Advertisement

By the bye, the village is actually Kilmurry which means "Off the Beaten Track by the non-broadband area near the Chemist's" in Irish. Lissarda is the postal address but not as accurate in broadband-challenged terms.

Why would you not consider o2 as broadband? You will get DL speeds up to 3.6Mbps (1.6-2.4 real world with average coverage levels). Also remember that rural sites will not have as many people hanging off them, particularly the Lissarda site. So you should enjoy good speeds. Out there as far as I know your only other choice is satellite BB, but this uses dial up for uplink which is worse than crap.
    The ping times on HSDPA BB is not good enough to allow most gaming but for most other applications like surfing, e-mail, skype etc.

rebel.ranter. Believe the hype if you wish. "speeds up to 3.6Mbps". I dont for a moment believe that 02 would invest in upgrading a mast in a rural location if they thought they would only get a 1/2 dozen or so users on it. Hence why their upgraded masts are in the cities and heavily populated areas. It would be fair to suggest that they were looking at covering macroom town and it just so happens that Lissarda falls into that area.

You may be lucky in that the uptake may not be great, but if the uptake is high, they one will get screwed. As has been pointed out here before, the mobile sectors are only capable of delivering up to 3.6Mbps max. This cannot be cranked up.

I personally know of a guy who got 3 and he was telling me on saturday "jaysus I tell ya, it was mighty at the start but is now gone to pot altogether"

great at start = more people talking about it in the area = more people getting it = slower it will get.

It is a vicious circle!!!

eoinok in relation to the Lissarda situation, O2 DID upgrade the Lissarda rural site & has nothing to do with a spin off from a site covering Macroom town. So if the user was to connect in Lissarda he would not be affected by anything that's happening in Macroom user use.
    It's in areas like this that I believe users will experience the best use of Mobile BB, rural sites with not much population covered by them.
    I know the site & I know the area very well.

you are sorted so rebel... you have a better chance now of some daycent bandwidth.
    If you do go and get it, try and keep if quiet though.......:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement