Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ 17Hmr

Options
  • 15-08-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i have a cz 452 17hmr varmint,and to me the barrel is very wobbly,there is only 1 screw to fit it directly to the stock and the other fits to the plate,all screws are tight but with no sucess.anybody know if glass bedding or other job will sturdy the gun around the action,as im now loosing intrest in the rifle when i think that somthing is wrong with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

How does it shoot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cmd17hmr

all over the place at a 100 yrds ,i put in in a shooting vice to see if it was me shaking when firing,changed the trigger to a hairpin to see if i was pulling it to hard, its the same there is no grouping at all unless by chance of luck that 1 hapens to hit the same hole

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bedding might help then.
    Of course, getting a better rifle might help more.

true you could say that but its only brand new ny idea were you could get it beded

Well, if if feels so wobbly & doesn't group, there's obviously something wrong. Most CZ HMRs will easily group under an inch @ 100yrds without any tweaking. If it's that bad, I wouldn't pillar/glass bed it without finding the root cause first.

I'd try a local dealer who has a few CZs in stock to compare yours physically or have a gunsmith look at it.

- brand new - take it back to the dealer to have it sorted/replaced!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There was another thread on here a litle while back about a Remington .17 not being very accurate, and the consensus was that the barrel needed to be bronze brushed every 20 rounds or so to remove copper fouling and to maintain accuracy.

Perhaps you are suffering from the same problem?

Certainly if the barrel is loose in the stock, you will lose accuracy but bedding will only alleviate that to a small extent if there's only one screw holding the barrel and action to the stock.

its only one goes directly into the wood the other goes through the plate but to me that wouldnt be a great fixing to hold ill try the gunsmith and see wat he says.thanx

rrpc,

That was a .17 centrefire notorious for fouling (4000fps :eek: ). The HMR is a lowly rimfire & doesn't foul @ just 2550fps.

OP, how "wobbly" is it? My American has no barrell screw/lug & I certainly wouldn't describe it as wobbly.

ill take pics of the gaps nd post them up within a few hours, if i can find the camera

Kramer wrote:
    rrpc,

That was a .17 centrefire notorious for fouling (4000fps :eek: ). The HMR is a lowly rimfire & doesn't foul @ just 2550fps.

OP, how "wobbly" is it? My American has no barrell screw/lug & I certainly wouldn't describe it as wobbly.

I know it's all relative Kramer, but that lowly rimfire runs at twice the speed of a HV .22lr round which has to create some fouling in the barrel. Might be worth the OP's time to have a look at it surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Fired around 100 rounds from mine Sunday and was getting 10-13mm
    groups at 50m (largest grouping was 15mm)
    Did not clean it once. So am unsure how cleaning after a few rounds
    would effect it. some people say clean after 20 or 50 rounds or the
    groups start to open up. Have not noticed it myself.

Dont know why there would be wobble though, nice and tight
    on mine.

~B

If its brand new and hardly fired any rounds, I'd take it back to the shop and have them replace it. It's possible it's a 'monday morning' gun or the action was badly mounted in the stock especially as bullets seems to have none of the problems you mention.

Take it back would be my advice.

ive taken pics of the gaps in it and all i have to do is find the cable to plug it into the comp (i put it in a safe place were i wouldnt loose it) but i can fin a steel ruler about 2mm tick between the barrel and the stock,when i say new its 3 mnths old,i was thinking of putting a few small strips of insulating tape down the stock to build it out to touch the barrel to see if this really is the cause and if so ill bring it back and say it to him,but since i replaced the trigger to a spurious i dout ill have any come back on this gun,ill keep use posted and ill try to get the pics up thanx anyway for the help

cmd17hmr wrote:
    stock,when i say new its 3 mnths old,i was thinking of putting a few small strips of insulating tape down the stock to build it out to touch the barrel to see if this really is the cause

It may be stating the obvious but the Barrel on a CZ 452 Varmint
    is a heavy barrel that is floated
    so the stock normally should not be touching the barrel if it does
    somethings off.

Ya dont want to be adding strips of tape to be rubbing the wood off the metal.

~B

cmd17hmr wrote:
    ive taken pics of the gaps in it and all i have to do is find the cable to plug it into the comp (i put it in a safe place were i wouldnt loose it) but i can fin a steel ruler about 2mm tick between the barrel and the stock,when i say new its 3 mnths old,i was thinking of putting a few small strips of insulating tape down the stock to build it out to touch the barrel to see if this really is the cause and if so ill bring it back and say it to him,but since i replaced the trigger to a spurious i dout ill have any come back on this gun,ill keep use posted and ill try to get the pics up thanx anyway for the help

As bullets says that's normal for a floating barrel, it's the action that shouldn't move around and a heavy barrel shouldn't move independent of the action or else you're in real trouble.

Can you not replace the original trigger?

Photos won't help. You describe the barrel wobbling, so you must ascertain where the wobbling originates. If it's at the action, then it's the action bedding screw that's at fault. When you changed the trigger did you make any changes to the stock that could account for the movement?

There's always the possibility that some foreign body got trapped between the action and the stock allowing the bedding screw to tighten fully but still not bedding the action properly hence giving you some movement. I'd take the action out and check if I were you.

Finally, has this problem manifested itself since you bought the rifle or only recently? If the latter, it's something you've done, if the former it's a problem inherent in the rifle and you'll have to bring it back aftermarket mods or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

cmd17hmr wrote:
    its only one goes directly into the wood the other goes through the plate...
    Go ahead and post the pictures when you get the chance. I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to here when you mention 'the plate' and it might help if you pointed out the particular item.
    Is it part #54 in the diagram below?

Here's the parts list/diagram for the 452-
    http://www.czub.cz/rozkresy/cz452_r_en.pdf

...and a screen grab-
    cz452explodedbf3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I would guess the OP is referring to the trigger guard housing ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

jaycee wrote:
    I would guess the OP is referring to the trigger guard housing ...
    That's what I'm thinking too, but it'd be good to be sure.

I haven't got a 452 varmint at hand to check, but it sounds like the OP's gun has two screws, #57 through the trigger guard and #47 through the fore end into the barrel lug.
    I have no experience of these guns in 17HMR, but the ones I know in .22LR get nothing but praise; I doubt the different calibre makes much/any difference.

yes item 54 sorry bout dat

Free floating barrel.Im after taking apart the gun again and i noticed that its not free floating the whole way around its touching the stock tight on the bottom of the barrel i also noticed that every time its put back together the barrel tends to sit twords the left hand side of the stock each time touching it slightly leaving the gap to the right.

Changing the trigger.nothing was loosened when i replaced the trigger as the old pins went out easily and new ones just needed a tap with the top of a pliers to sit in to place,this problem was there befor the trigger was replaced,the main reason i replaced the trigger was i thought i was pulling the trigger to hard and causing it to move around the target.

ill take it back to the gunsmith nd see what he says, the worst he can say is " GET THE F*~# OUTA MY SHOP "

I have the 452 lux in a 22lr also and i love the gun couldnt fault it which is why i stayed with cz and the 452.
    i just wanted the extra bit of poke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

There seems to be a bit of a black art with adjusting the tension between
    the fore end and the barrel on these.

Some claim totally free floating is the way to go , others go down on the side
    of a precise amount of tip pressure , Which is correct ? No idea and it may vary from one gun to another anyway .

I would ensure that the main action screw (Big one ) is tight.
    After that and possibly before i would look at damage , even slight around the muzzle crown.

Please consider the following also.......

1: Bad batches of ammo do happen ...it may not be the gun.
    2: To remove yourself from the results , have a good rifle shooter try it.
    3: Are you absolutely sure that your scope and scope mounts are beyond suspicion ?

I believe from the OP's last post that there is a problem with the stock in that the barrel is not fully floating and is skewed slightly to the left when fitted.

To me that's a manufacturing flaw and as such should be brought back to the dealer.

He probably should post a couple of photos here to confirm that, but it sounds like that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

the .17hmr i had did the same,it veered off to the left touching the forend,i just got my riflesmith to do a little inletting on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Been a big fan of the 452 and everyone seems to be delivered with some of the fore-stock connectng to the barrell. IT seems to be the way of CZs worldwide.
    Most common fix is to remove the barrellled action from the stock and take a dowel covered with sand paper and remove a bit of the wood along the barrell channel., remember to re-lacquer or wax the sanded portion of the stock to prevent water making the wood swell later during use.

Good info on "accurusing"cz on rimfire central's CZ pages.

HTH

Vinnie

problem solved :)

It was one of three things

First of all the mortice for the clip was slightly off centre pulling the barrel to the left that was easily fixed by sanding off some of the wood wit a dremel

Secondly the mortice being off square ment that the action was still twisting in the stock and not fully sitting tight as it was slightly raised on one side

And last but not least the barrel was far from floated and it was raised a smidge so the trigger guard was bending upwards when the screw was tightened.

im working on the pics now so should have them up within a half hour

Glad to see ya got your problems ironed out,

I must say I adore the .17HMR as a round.
    And hope in the future it gets more acceptance
    in target shooting clubs with regards to Competitions
    and clubs that currently only allow .22LR sub sonics.

~B

i agree ive been trying to find one aswell
    i was asking ardee sports are they opening one dont know if your close and the man i was talking to said that they might in the future,so fingers crossed
    other than that look for a field with a good bank so theres no:eek:
    i still have to say i love the 22 for shooting its such a fun round

Advertisement