Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying with a tripod

• 15-08-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience of flying with a tripod, specifically with only hand luggage?

I'm flying out with Ryanair and couldn't find any mention on their website (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=prohibiteditems) of such things being prohibited. The Dublin Airport website (http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-security/) also doesn't specify anything about tripods.

The tripod is a Manfrotto 190XDB, which folds down to about 55cm, which just about fits into my carry on bag, when placed diagonally.

Or should I check my bag (including tripod) into the hold, what with these times of heightened security and save myself any potential hassles?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

For a second there I had visions of harry potter with a camera.

I have the 190 manfrotto - packed down I have travelled with it lengthways in a suitcase without problems (though not on ryanair). For carry on ryanair are notorious so if I were you I would put it in the luggage hold and keep the camera as carry on - I would never check a camera/lenses etc into the luggage hold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

You'll have to check your bag in as they'll see a your tripod as a pontential weapon.
    Yes. Even more potent than my 20mm of contact lens solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭leohoju

Thanks guys.

Although not exactly what I was looking for unfortunately. Am I right in assuming that the tripod head will face similar security concerns?

Looks like I'll have to invest in a beanbag or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

i flew with a tripod strapped to the side of my hand-luggage with FlyBE recently and had no problems
    -t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I've flown multiple times with my tripod-which folds to about 50cm-hanging from the little pouch thing on the side of my rucksack and I've never had any trouble with it, none of those flights were with ryanair though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭feileacan

i fly with ryanair regularly (for my sins) and often take the tripod (same model i think).

i find it easier to take of the head and wrap the tripod in a towel and stick in it my luggage and as Morlar mentioned have your camera as carry on - get a decent camera bag and never let it leave your side.

both have always been fine in hold

only downside is ryanair charge you 12e return for the pleasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

It's not necessarily the airline who'll be a problem, but the airport.

I was flying from Bergamo last year (on a Ryanair flight) but got stopped by security when they spotted my tripod in my hand luggage. I had to go back & check it in.

A mate of mine had no problem going from Dublin to Pisa a few days previously but his Manfrotto is one of the carbon fibre tripods.

Anyway, my advice is to pack the tripod in your checked in luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I'm catching a flight tomorrow so I will reply in the afternoon how successful it was (or wasnt)!!

I rang the Dublin Airport people and they were a little surprised at my question and said it should definitely be fine to take through security and on board the flight as carry-on luggage.

Ryanair weren't answering their phones, so no news from them...

Good luck with the flight tomorrow mikeanywhere! Hopefully what I was told won't have all been a bunch of lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm catching a flight tomorrow so I will reply in the afternoon how successful it was (or wasnt)!!

Are you heading towards UK yeah?

Let me know how you get on.

Also - Computrekker Plus AW, Ryanair... go or no go?

• Advertisement

I am going from Shannon but hopefully they are so preoccupied with the Air Lingus farce they might not look too closely :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭digitalbeginner

Fajitas! wrote:

No go. I was refused by Ryanair with this specific bag (I checked with them in Dublin Airport before I flew to Italy). Cathy in Gunns of Wexford St. confirmed this with me as she has many people coming with the problem. I ended up buying the CompuRover AW as it is the only one that will take a 17in Laptop. I got to italy with it just fine and it carries (5 lenses, D200 body and the various bits and bobs I need. It all came in just under the 10kg Ryanair limit, plus it fits inside their physical dimensions. The design of the bag means I also have a daybag compartment for sunglasses, bottoms of zip off trousers :) etc

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I passed through Berlin airport security three times this year, two out of three were grand, the last time however I had to disassemble all of my camera gear, have it all swabbed for explosives and wait while the results came back.

It very much depends on the person you're dealing with. Your average security guard should know that no one would place a bomb in a Canon though, they're too good to blow up.

No go. I was refused by Ryanair with this specific bag (I checked with them in Dublin Airport before I flew to Italy). Cathy in Gunns of Wexford St. confirmed this with me as she has many people coming with the problem. I ended up buying the CompuRover AW as it is the only one that will take a 17in Laptop. I got to italy with it just fine and it carries (5 lenses, D200 body and the various bits and bobs I need. It all came in just under the 10kg Ryanair limit, plus it fits inside their physical dimensions. The design of the bag means I also have a daybag compartment for sunglasses, bottoms of zip off trousers :) etc

Dave

Ah shíte.

Right. New camera bag time.

Fajitas! wrote:

Yeah, flying into Bournemouth and last time I had my laptop and camera in one bag without any issues. Time before that I had the other camera backpack thing (smaller version to Si's - cant remember the name for god's sake) and that wasnt any issue either.

What bag did you have this time?

Laptop come camera bag thingy (really good on technical names indeed)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Yeah, flying into Bournemouth and last time I had my laptop and camera in one bag without any issues. Time before that I had the other camera backpack thing (smaller version to Si's - cant remember the name for god's sake) and that wasnt any issue either.

In my experience regional uk ones aren't as picky so the trip back should be fine at least.

leohoju wrote:
    Ryanair weren't answering their phones, so no news from them...

I rang Ryanair and after much holding and going through their frankly awful IVR system, they told me "as long as it fits in the over-head compartment there shouldn't be a problem".

So if the people I've spoken to are correct, then there really shouldn't be a problem bringing a tripod through security and then on-board. Hooray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

:confused: Have you checked with your return airport?

• Advertisement

Nope, don't need to. I'll be sticking the bag in the hold on the way back, as I also plan on brining back quite a few bottles of booze. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Grogg

Just an FYI:

I have passed through security many times with the Computrekker AW Plus and I had no issues. RyanAir never said anything about the bag at any stage. I have over 10kgs in the bag on my back. That was the secret. Keep it on your bag.
    "And you bringing on any hand luggage?"... "Yes. I am". And thats it. No show etc. Security had no issues. Just do not over fill the front pocket or it will not fit into the over head stow. I had a Dell Laitiude X300 with Docking slice in the back of the bag. And checked with the RyanAir bag cage. With pressure, it was going to enter the cage. So, it "does" fit the specs. The online specs of size are just about the Computrekker AW's sizes.

The only issue I'd ever had was the tripod. I have passed through many airports with it attached but in Graz, Austria, the security team asked me to check it in as another bag. I asked to see the details in print but they could not show me. I had to spend about 3 mins removing from the bag. This was the only time.

It a great bag. Enjoy, laters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Fajitas! wrote:
    What bag did you have this time?

Over the past few weeks I have taken the Computrekker (not the AW version) on Ryanair, SAS, Continental, Aer Lingus, Easy Jet and BMI via the following airports - Dublin, Paris (CDG), Brussels, Stockholm, Heathrow, Liverpool, Newark, Montreal ... I've had no problems with any of these airlines of airports using the computrekker... or for that matter the Rover AW II ...

The trick is to check in automatically ... thus taking the airline out of the equation leaving only the security check to worry about. Even Ryanair offer online if you don't have checked in bags ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Over the past few weeks .....via the following airports - Dublin, Paris (CDG), Brussels, Stockholm, Heathrow, Liverpool, Newark, Montreal ...

The joys of all those delayed flights, airline food !
    (but at least you avoid Dublin/Irish traffic! - the first thing I always notice when I return from abroad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Computrekker AW Plus has been okay in my experience and it has been dragged on several flights since it was acquired. The issues I've had relate to the monopod which had to be checked in as a separate bag coming from Rennes who were very worried I'd attack someone on an Aer Lingus flight with it.

Mind you the flight was subsequently delayed 30 minutes while they cleared birds from the airfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

An old post I know but anyone with recent experience re: Tripod in Hand Luggage with Ryanair? Going to France at Weekend and really would like to bring Tripod...

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

As long as it fits in your case then you will have no problems with Ryanair.

Effects wrote: »
    As long as it fits in your case then you will have no problems with Ryanair.

Yes, I thought this afterwards, the problem could be with Airport Security then at Xray machines....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The problem will be with Ryanair staff at the boarding gate. You won't have a problem with a tripod with security or xray.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    The problem will be with Ryanair staff at the boarding gate. You won't have a problem with a tripod with security or xray.

Oh well then its cool since it fits in the Hand luggage :)

Thanks all!!

Advertisement