Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results-Didnt go so well

Options
  • 15-08-2007 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

So you've got your results and maybe things just didnt go to plan. Where do we go from here? Repeat? PLC? Help us all out

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are many PLCs that can be taken as a 'back door' into college if your results haven't gone as you hoped.

Just as one example, there is a Foundation course in Science in Killester CDVEC that allows you entry to a Science degree.
    http://www.daycourses.com/further_education_plc/index.html

At the end of the day when you have your degree/diploma in your hand, no one cares whether it took you 4, 5 or 8 years to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

I would definitely repeat if you are not happy and think are capable of better.
    I repeated in 2001 and it was the best thing i ever done, the year absolutely flew and I came up by 100 points.
    ended up doing a college course I loved and would never have done if I hadn;t repeated, I was 18 when I repeated and my parents weren't strict on me, was allowed out any weekend I wanted so I felt I had grown up, was hard hearing all the college stories but in a year I had joined them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

I thought I did much better then what the results show. Oh well i guess lifes just a bitch with somethings like that. I really dont mind doing an extra year PLC if it acts as a backdoor into a college course. I skipped 4th yr so I have that extra year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭CrazyNoob

There is always the option of 1) diploma instead of a degree
    2)The PLC option
    3) or repeat

Personally I'd go with the first two as at least you in the college system so to speak.
    Ie lots of options and you have to do what you think is best for you

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm 10 points off my course...i don't think it'll drop so i'm thinking of doing a PLC in CSN in Cork...lets hope that goes to plan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I got 175 LOL :( what to do

I just didnt really get enough points to do anything that interests me. Am going to look into doing a PLC course tomorrow but for the rest of today im off out to celebrate. Not that I have much to celebrate though, I'll stilll give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

That sucks:(
    Do a PLC course man, that will get you into college easily.
    sounds clique, but you are worth more than 175 stinking LC points.
    The system appears to screw certain people over for no reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's still more than many people got.
    Don't rush into anything. Only you know how much work you put into getting the 175. If you know you could have tried a lot harder, then maybe repeating is an option. If you tried your best then perhaps the world of Post Leaving Cert. courses is a more suitable option. Your areas of interest can help you decide what course to do.

There is also the option of getting a job and coming back to the whole college thing as a mature student. I know 23 probably seems way off at the moment, but it will creep up on you. You might even get work to pay you to go to college (depending on what line you go into) - result.

Any PLC courses in the vacinity are ****ty, but Ill have to make do. Think would 175 get me anywhere with UCAS?
    Thanks for replies ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I was one grade to low ( maths ) to do my chosen no.1 Course. Turns out, by the looks of things I'll get one of my next choices, which I realise now would have been the sensible ones to go for in the first place. I was devistated when I read the results, but upon further investigation today it turns out its grand the way it worked out.

Hj

Oh well you got lucky!
    10 frickin points...if only i could have taken LCVP.

Any PLC courses in the vacinity are ****ty, but Ill have to make do. Think would 175 get me anywhere with UCAS?
    Thanks for replies ;)

I don't know...I suppose you could check, though then there would be the expense of going over there.
    You could travel to a PLC - many do.

Don't rush into anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KarmaCreep

Legend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

There's plenty of fall back options, the LC is not the end of life, I know for a fact that there are amny employers who sometimes prefer to train people in courses, for example my sisters workplace offers grants to take Civil Engineering, which if I wanted I would probably get! ;)

Too many people place their fate on the LC, PLC makes the whole system pretty defunct! Which rules IMO! :D

drunken post - iam 17 - i dont give a **** plenty fo time

Anyone know of a back door PLC into Commerce in UCD??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

im also ten points off!!! sickening it is, actually sickening!!!
    im gonna appeal my irish and english caus i feel like i was robbed!!! but im gonna accept my second choice if they offer it to me (which going by last years points i should get) even though it is completely different from my first choice!!! everything happens for a reason right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

mars bar wrote:
    I'm 10 points off my course...i don't think it'll drop so i'm thinking of doing a PLC in CSN in Cork...lets hope that goes to plan!

Rememeber that the points total that you are aiming at are for first round offers. You might get the course in the second or third round of offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Plus you dont know what the points for this year are yet. You could get lucky

I just don't know what to do, totally stuck. Will a FETAC Level 5 automatically get me into any Degree Course next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

What type of course do you have in mind?

Well one person i know that wanted to do the course i want to do has decided not to do it even if he is offered it...that's one down...God knows how many to go...

http://www.pearsecollege.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=31

This interests me. Looks to be practical. Iam on a weeks holidays on sunday and I dont wanna miss out and then become a bum for a year. Even if i do this course can I hop to say international relations in DCU next year?

Iam not really understanding the PLC > University process.

Thanks a lot for replying ;)

Well you have modules in your Plc and you can get up to 360(I think fo PLC) points if you get a distinction in those modules. Then you can move on but the PLC must be FETAC certified...

Once its FETAC I can go straight into level 7/8 then?

I think so, but i couldn't be certain. If i don't get my course, i hope to do a plc and use it to get into a level 8 course in UL. I enquired about this but i was told to ask the teachers at the interview, so don't count on me! That's the drift i have of it anyway.

Anyone else able to help??

• Advertisement

Ill make some phone calls tomorrow :) thanks mars

Advertisement