Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ad-Hoc network - unable to ping

• 15-08-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

Im trying to set up an ad-hoc network on 2 laptops running windows xp. im using the inbuilt windows xp wireless tool to configure the wireless settings. when set to ad-hoc mode, the 2 laptops indicate that they are connected to the same named ad-hoc network. However, when i try ping either of the laptops from the other, it fails. they are assigned ip addresses: 169.254.121.41 and 169.254.121.41. this is correct for ad-hoc mode i belive?

Both laptops can connect ok to a wireless router and communicate with each other successfully when connected to that. I have turned off windows firewall and dont have any other firewall software running.

Is there something else I should be doing to enable this? Any suggestions on how to fix this would be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

they are assigned ip addresses: 169.254.121.41 and 169.254.121.41
    That can't be correct. They have to have different addresses from each other.

Is there any particular reason you don't want to have the router on, since they connect correctly using that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Assign the ip address of 192.168.1.100 to one and 192.168.1.101 to the other. See if that works.

Start->Settings->Network Connections. Right click on your Wireless Network connection and choose properties. Select internet protocol (TCP/IP) and click on properties button. Set ip address there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oochie

Sorry that was a typo. The 2 addresses are: 169.254.121.41 and 169.254.110.148. subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Ive tried setting the IP addresses manually to 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 as suggested but am still getting no response..

im doing a college project and need to run some tests in ad-hoc mode so thats the reason i need to get them communicating without the router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Have you disabled all firewalls including the Windows one? Are both laptops in the same workgroup?

Yes i have disabled all firewalls on both laptops and they are both in the same workgroup.

I have also checked the following settings for their wireless cards.
    IBSS channel number is set to 11 for both of them. IBSS Mode is set to '802.11g' on one and '802.11b/g Auto' on the other

any other potential problems?

• Advertisement

Ok i got it sorted. I had authentication set to open but had encryption turned on. It works fine when encryption is disabled

Thanks for your help

Advertisement