Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulaski or Crusher?

• 15-08-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I used to think that Beverly was the woman (she is quite hot in the earlier seasons IMO and a convincing character throughout) but I'm nearing the end of season 2 now, and I have to say, I've warmed to Pulaski's character quite a bit.

Anyone know why crusher was replaced temporarily? Maternity leave or something?

Also, I have to say, I've left it long enough now to have basically forgotten the majority of episodes (or at least the finer points). Holy crap, TNG is a great show.

Pulaski or Crusher? 3 votes

Pulaski
    0%
    Crusher
    100%
    BuffyBotKhanniePride Fighter 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Khannie wrote:
    nearing the end of season 2 now, and I have to say, I've warmed to Pulaski's character quite a bit.
    Yeah, Pulaski was a great character. Although she did feel like a bit of an outsider throughout the season she was in.. it worked well for her character but does mean she's not really missed when she left.
    Anyone know why crusher was replaced temporarily? Maternity leave or something?
    I looked this up on Wikipedia recently; apparently Gates McFadden had a dispute with the shows producers. There's no great detail available, but it seems McFadden was unhappy with how her character was being developed and was unable to work anything out so she walked (or was pushed - the article didn't specify). She returned in the third season following a campaign by the fans.
    Also, I have to say, I've left it long enough now to have basically forgotten the majority of episodes (or at least the finer points). Holy crap, TNG is a great show.
    I've been thinking the exact same thing watching the show recently on SkyOne -- they're just around the start of the third season now on the weekday 1am - 3am double bill. Had to stop watching that though, as 3am is a ridicules time to be sitting watching Star Trek.

I used to think those first two or three seasons were just too cheesy, and as a result I've now got the benefit of not having seen them even a fraction as much as I've seen the later seasons. Some really great stuff in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I can't stand Pulaski , she makes me want to gouge out my eyes and as such, I've only ever seen the season 2 shows once each.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i've been watching the star treks on tv instead of sleeping for the past week.. it was great at the time, but going to sleep at 4 in the morning isn't a good idea when you have to get up 4 hours later.

also, crusher all the way.. never really liked pulaski, few good eps.. but she just wasn't bev.

I met crusher at the first contact premier, along with michael dorn. At the time I was too small to be noticed among the crush of fans clamouring for autographs, so a nice dude beside me lifted me up over his head and held me there until they both signed my star trek encyclopedia.

I've lost that damn encyclopedia since... wonder wtf it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Oh.. a poll.

I'll vote for Crusher because, as I said, Pulaski didn't really fit in. It's a close call though. It would have been nice to hear from her character again some time after she left... I don't think we were ever offered any explination in the show.

And Pulsaki was always listed as 'Special Guest Star'.. I always forget to check, but was Gates McFadden still on the title credits for Season 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Crusher
    Haven't seen Gates on the credits for season 2. I'm gonna wait until I see Beverly's triumphant return before voting in the poll myself. I thought pulaski wasn't likeable the first time around so I'm witholding judgement for now (since I've changed my tune).

• Advertisement

Crusher
    Goodshape wrote:
    I looked this up on Wikipedia recently; apparently Gates McFadden had a dispute with the shows producers. There's no great detail available, but it seems McFadden was unhappy with how her character was being developed and was unable to work anything out so she walked (or was pushed - the article didn't specify). She returned in the third season following a campaign by the fans.

Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I always thought they were trying to do a female version of McCoy with Pulaski... but it never really worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I never liked pulaski at all, i thought she didnt fit in with the TNG univerce she just seemed too out of place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

If we are talking pure sex appeal its obviously Crusher. MILF! Even though her son was an annoying git. Another reason not to live in the Star Trek universe.... too many Eunuchs!

Seriously though, the attempt to introduce another McCoy in the attitude and looks department didnt work, McCoy had humor and Spock to bounce off, Polaski was just rude to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

While the actress did a fine job, the character of Pulaski was just annoying. She didn't seem as warm or humane as the rest of the characters. She had little charisma and as another poster said, she just seemed out of place. Crusher was just much cooler, she had that past with Picard, she was more compassionate, humerous and all around much more likeable. She was also hot, particuarly towards the last few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Pulaski's actress actually starred in TOS of Star Trek, I was watching her on the SciFi channel the other day. Even with a hot body, she still had that chicken face with her droopy eyes, scraggy neck, and beaky nose. I'd have to go with Crusher, and even then, she's a weird soccer Mum, man frame with breasts type of woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Crusher
    I always thought they were trying to do a female version of McCoy with Pulaski... but it never really worked.

I can see were your coming from. I said Pulaski as I hate those stupid Crusher character development episodes. They SUCKED!!!!!!!

Crusher
    I can see were your coming from. I said Pulaski as I hate those stupid Crusher character development episodes. They SUCKED!!!!!!!

Thankfully I can't remember those episodes, unless you're talking about the wesley ones. Good f*ck he was so annoying. Poor chap got shafted with a terrible character.

There was a Crusher-centric episode with a Scottish ghost or some bullsh*t like that... it was possibly one of the worst episodes of TNG ever.

Oh right, the one where she goes to her grans funeral and she meets the hot mancandy and then she starts gettin freaky with him and his weird candle. Then it turns out he was duffin the granny as long as the candle stays lit cause hes an alien and aliens need candles to live..

terrible episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

+2
    Could they have been any more blatant? :rolleyes:

I also warmed to her by the end of season 2 and was sorry to see her go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Grimes wrote:
    Oh right, the one where she goes to her grans funeral and she meets the hot mancandy and then she starts gettin freaky with him and his weird candle. Then it turns out he was duffin the granny as long as the candle stays lit cause hes an alien and aliens need candles to live..

terrible episode.

I believe McFadden got an award for that, for having to pretend to make love to a ghost. Or was that another episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Grimes wrote:

terrible episode.

Oh god, that episode was pure rubbish. One of the worst TNG episodes of them all.

As for who was better, Crusher seemed to fit more into the whole show - Pulaski always seemed to be an outsider IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

There was a Crusher-centric episode with a Scottish ghost or some bullsh*t like that... it was possibly one of the worst episodes of TNG ever.

Worst Episode Ever as that fat yellow guy from tv would say. That was in the last season I think. Sub Rosa I think it was called. It was muck. The last season just lost the plot altogether. As for the Pulaski/Crusher debate. I'm not too mad on either. Never felt Crusher played a major part in the series. Obviously character development wasn't as important in TNG as it is now on TV shows. I always wondered what TNG would have been like if it had DS9 type story arcs. Probably would have been ever more genius then it already is. Timeless TV. The scheduling guys at Sky 1 are my heroes :D

its actually on sky now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Never felt Crusher played a major part in the series

I thought the whole Crusher-Picard thing played a huge part in the series and it was really great the way it just kept simmering. I really hated the way DS9 or Voyager tried to do these stupid soap-opera-esque relationship development storylines that just got in the way of the fact that these are suppose to be science fiction shows and not some god-awful version of Sunset Beach in space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Araniell

Grimes wrote:

terrible episode.

Sub Rosa gets my vote for most inappropriate line an actress was ever made say on prime time telly:

"I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter in my grandmother's journal."

Poor Gates!

My vote's for Crusher. I think there are a lot of times in the show when the character was laboured with rubbish plots, ridiculous lines, or just plain ignored, and it's a credit to the members of the Trek writing team who didn't have their heads up their arses, and to the acting that she still comes across as so warm and likeable.

Also, in the non-wig seasons she has pretty hair :)

Can we have a Wesley or Alexander thread now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Crusher

Thats the one that springs to mind, what a load of BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement