Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people entered the Affordable housing draw?

Options
  • 15-08-2007 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

First of all, I'm sorry for starting a whole new thread just to ask one little question

I was wondering, are the public entitled to know how many people entered the Affordable housing draw (due to take place next month)?

I ticked a few preferences, once of which was Belmayne, and I'd love to know how many people applied for the same preferences as I did.

Is that kind of information accessible before the draw takes place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I know that info does become available afte the draw takes place but Have no idea if you can get it prior to this. I chose Belmayne (as well as practically every where else). Fingers crossed we get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

RIRI wrote:
    I know that info does become available afte the draw takes place but Have no idea if you can get it prior to this. I chose Belmayne (as well as practically every where else). Fingers crossed we get it!!

I got in touch with someone at the Affordable housing today, and they just said that right now they are just going through the applications and contacting people regarding their incomes, to insure they can actually get the mortgage they are looking for.

He said that once that was done, they would have some estimate numbers that will be available by individual phone request, but wouldn't be posted in a public forum until after the draw has taken place..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

In the next newsletter DCC will give the number of people that applied, not sure if they break it down by development though.

The draws are done one development at a time so (e.g) they will wait until belmayne is filled before they start the draw for the next development on the list. It takes months. I know last year the closing date was June an they were still doing draws in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Oh really? I didn't realise that.
    In my little fantasy land, I imagined the draw would take place at the end of September, and if I was lucky, I could be living in my apartment by November :o

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

BC wrote:
    In the next newsletter DCC will give the number of people that applied, not sure if they break it down by development though.

The draws are done one development at a time so (e.g) they will wait until belmayne is filled before they start the draw for the next development on the list. It takes months. I know last year the closing date was June an they were still doing draws in December.

I didn't realise that the draws were done individually.

Does that mean that in a development, where there are 3 different types of apartment on offer, there's 3 different draws?

And say for example (like me) you put in for a number of developments. Do they start with the first development on the list and everyone goes into that, as each development gets filled does that mean there will be less to go into the next development?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Electric wrote:

Does that mean that in a development, where there are 3 different types of apartment on offer, there's 3 different draws?

And say for example (like me) you put in for a number of developments. Do they start with the first development on the list and everyone goes into that, as each development gets filled does that mean there will be less to go into the next development?

If you ask me, there's been some very fishy things going on between county councils and developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CelloPoint

Cantab. wrote:
    If you ask me, there's been some very fishy things going on between county councils and developers.

I can picture them all playing telly-bingo with people's affordable housing applications down in Wood Quay. I'd say they're busy pulling rabbits out of each other's hard-hats on behalf of the poor 'aul hard-pressed, over-worked FTBs of Ireland who are 'entitled' to a piece of the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Would an FOI request makes things any clearer?

A friend of mine has registered with Fingal CC and they don't tell her diddly squat! And she has the added bonus of having to re-registered all her financial detials each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Electric wrote:

I'm not positive but i would assume theres 3 different draws for 3 different types of apartment.

I'm not sure how they decide which development to draw first, whether its the order on the list, alphabetical order, based on the number of applicants etc. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Howdy
    I got this off www.thepropertypin.com this was posted back in July.

Dropped from €350k to €315k
    http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=297082

On the link now prices are now €275k for one bed, thats down €75k :eek:

So guys if you get offered anything under the scheme weigh it up against the fact that prices are dropping on the 1 beds.

Id recommend readin the property pin website, the posters over there are extremley clued in on the market & offer excellant opinions. Theres also www.irishpropertywatch.com which records price drops.

Do your homework guys & dont just buy anything just for the sake of getting on the "ladder"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Keith C wrote:
    Howdy
    I got this off www.thepropertypin.com this was posted back in July.

Dropped from €350k to €315k
    http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=297082

On the link now prices are now €275k for one bed, thats down €75k :eek:

So guys if you get offered anything under the scheme weigh it up against the fact that prices are dropping on the 1 beds.

Id recommend readin the property pin website, the posters over there are extremley clued in on the market & offer excellant opinions. Theres also www.irishpropertywatch.com which records price drops.

Do your homework guys & dont just buy anything just for the sake of getting on the "ladder"

What about the affordable prices? they are just market prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I was wondering, are the public entitled to know how many people entered the Affordable housing draw (due to take place next month)?

There was a small article in the paper during teh week, if memory is correct, over 8,000 people are on the affordable list for DCC alone.

Now, its another question of how many of them would be in any given draw!
    Drapper wrote:
    What about the affordable prices? they are just market prices?

Affordable scheme prices are nearly always half the market price, have never seen it different other than the Affordable Initiative where the Aff price varies alot as a % of the market price to the purchaser!

Keith C brings up a valid point. Over on AAM for example, there are fair few people who found that the councils overvalued the market price of the intended dwellings than what they were offering to the purchasers.

Instead of a normal 50% discount advertised by the council, it ends up as little as 25% discount when compared to the going market price and not what the council valued them at due to depreciation in the marketplace.

For example, councils values it at 350k, offers it to purchaser at 50% discount so 175k to the buyer.
    However present market valuation is 275 as in Keith C example and the buyer still expects to pay 175k on an advertised 50% discount when its not 50% so the buyer should really be paying 137.5k based on a normal 50% discount in the agreement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

BC wrote:

ive just been on to DCC to change my contact address and they said all developments will be drawn at the end of september. They said theyll ring as well as send an offer letter

fingers crossed!!!

Advertisement