Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

final year degree project

Options
  • 15-08-2007 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

im doing my degree year in software development in september and we have to do a massive project on whatever we want. Im thinking of programming a guitar effects pedel i.e. plug a guitar into the laptop (mic port), the effects can be turned on and off with the mouse, or certon keys, and output the sound through the speakers of the loptop and or recorded.

to do this, i would have to mess with the sound coming in from the mic port, before it is actualy recorded. any idea how complicated that would be.

i only thought of this idea a half an hour ago, so sorry if it looks like i don't know a lot about what im talking about, because i dont!! i have never messed with sound before, and dont know what im getting into!!

your help would be apriciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nude_hamster

Sound signal processing is very complicated, I have done a small bit with it ( for voice analysing ) but I was lucky enough to have a lecturer in the college who knew alot about it and his whole area of research was based around sound and signal analysing, but it is do-able.

So unless you had someone in your college who really is an expert in this area to mentor you, I wouldnt suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You'll probably want to read up on DSP and catching and processing audio signals. It shouldn't be too hard to get a few simple filters working after you get the initial stuff working. You should probably look at some libraries as well.

Advertisement