Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Suggestions

Options
  • 15-08-2007 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Looking for some suggestions on what broadband connection to get. In the last few years i haven't been paying too much attention to whats on offer out there because i had a good connection. I'm now moving house and need to look for something decent.

Whats important to me is low latency, decent upload speed(doesn't necessarily have to be symmetrical), and no cap.

The two i've looked at so far were the 6meg from NTL and the 7meg from smart telecom. NTL only has a 40gig cap which might be a problem and i also heard their service has degraded a lot over the last few years.

Suggestions would be great but don't mention IBB :)

Living in santry btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have no hesitation in recommending Smart, if you're on one of their exchanges.
    Excellent service and great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

My only worry is the time it'll take to get it. I have to get the phone enabled by eircom, get the account number off them and then ring smart right? know how long it'll take in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

anybodies guess mate. im on smart too and it took me circa 4 months ! that said it was during the whole local loop unbundling thing and i think its been all sorted now so it shouldnt take that long. say about a month.

its well worth it though. eircom bugged the hell out of me so no line rental is heaven and as a company their pretty desperate for business so there's some good deals to be found.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd have to say smart as well. I haven't used them but I've heard nothing but good things about their broadband packages on here and I plan on switching to them the moment they enable my exchange which should be soon enough.
    Apparently they've had problems with switching your number over to them so hopefully that's sorted or will be sorted in the near future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One guy in Cork posting yesterday on the Smart forums actually got connected before his modem arrived in the post - a matter of days.
    It must depend what exchange and what sort of humour the eircom people are in.

It's worth the wait though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement