Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whyte 46 + Maverick forks - Where to service?

Options
  • 15-08-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi. Just got my first XC bike. It's a 2nd hand (via eBay), 3yr old Whyte 46. I only unboxed it last night and the gears, brakes and frame seem (to my not very experienced eye) in decent nick, but I don't have any experience with suspension and reckon it should have a professional service before I take it out on trails. The forks on it are pretty different though, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a shop in Dublin that services Mavericks in particular, or do you reckon most shops to be equal in terms of servicing mtb suspension systems and to just go with my lbs?

btw thanks to all of ye for answering every other question I've had about cycling in Dublin, without me ever having to post before :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Interesting choice of bike - you won't see to many of those around. The suspension on the Whyte is similar to a Marin so maybe a Marin dealer would be a good option - try Cycleogical on the quays.

Alternatively you could try Cycleways.

For the forks I'd recommend asking Robin Seymour if he'd take a look at them. He's a pro XC racer who does servicing/suspension work on the side. I know several people who were very pleased with the work he did on their forks. He posts on the Mtbireland.com forum as "betterman" so you could contact him there.

http://www.mtbireland.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;u=24

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sTuMbLeD

Cheers Morgan, I forgot the same guy designed the Marin suspension.
    I think I'll go with my lbs (The Bike Rack, Cabinteely) for the first service anyway, as I'm getting a bit too excited/impatient and I was just on the phone to them and they said they could have it back to me quick, :) wheras cylelogical would mean waiting till after wknd as i can't get a lift in with bike till friday.

Thats great to know about Betterman, i'll give drop him a line if i bust em, but i think the lbs should be able to handle setting the pressure (psi?) on em, which is, i hope, all the attention they need for now.

About my choice of ride, well to be honest i knew little about Whyte Bikes before I bid cept that they looked different, had great spec, and when new they were way, way out of my price range. I was bidding on a lot of XL frames, mostly Specialized FSRs, Trek Fuel ex7s and Cannondale Prophets, but kept being outbid. Was sure this would go for much more but put a small bid in just in case. So far i'm happy, (it looks cool in my bedroom ;) ) but I'll withhold judgement till i get a few rides on it.

Cheers for the links too, i need all the advice i can get on shoes and the rest of the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Bike Rack will definitely be able to sort you out - they're very reliable from everything I've heard and are very competent at servicing high-end kit.

It would be worth getting a shock pump of your own - getting the suspension set up right takes a bit of trial and error - you're as well off experimenting when you're out on a ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Morgan wrote:
    Interesting choice of bike - you won't see to many of those around. The suspension on the Whyte is similar to a Marin so maybe a Marin dealer would be a good option - try Cycleogical on the quays.

I don't think that Cyclelogical will service anything that wasn't bought in their store.

Advertisement