Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a spoke

Options
  • 15-08-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I broke a spoke yesterday on my racer. Is replacing a spoke a precise operation or would it be adequate to simply tighten it until the wheel was spinning "true"?

I'd like to become competent at fixing and servicing the bike so it's not just about the fee. I've read the parktool article from the sticky above on it and it looks quite doable.

Oh and is it common for a spoke to break? It's the first time it's happened but cycling quite fast down a bumpy country road and hearing something jingling about in your spokes is not a nice experience!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had some break, best repair it quick as the others will quickly weaken if one is gone, then they all start popping soon after, even if the one is fixed. It is tighten until true, but if you cycled a bit the others around it might need adjusting.

If it is the back wheel at the cassette you probably need a cassette removal tool. Keep the broken one to give to the shop for size

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

it is the back wheel unfortunately, so I'll have to go hunting for such a tool. thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

humbert wrote:
    it is the back wheel unfortunately, so I'll have to go hunting for such a tool. thanks though.

Well on the back it is 50/50 if you can get it off without the tool, i.e. it is only if the spoke ends on the side with the cassette. I say 50/50 but murphys law, and perhaps physics says the bad side will go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It looks like fortune has smiled on me, it's on the other side :)

Advertisement