Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Tanks

Options
  • 15-08-2007 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I've been offered some old equipment, but the certificate for the bottles ran out five years ago. will they still be any good? obviously I will get them checked out, but is it worth even trying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Check the manufacture date. Found around the neck of the bottle (tank).

If it is pre-2000 you should look for a Hydro stamp - an embossed mark on the bottle, made with a metal punch, that would show date of Hydro Test.

VIP (Visual Inspection Programme) is required every 2.5yrs, while a Hydro is reqd. every 4yrs at least, maybe 5.

First VIP is due 12mths after date of manufacture, or sale date.

So your "old" bottle, if 1999, should have 4 VIP stickers and 2 Hydro stamps on it.

If it does not show any of these it has not been looked after very well.

Then it's make your mind up time.

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thanks Seadeuce, I'll take a look. I know the guy who is selling them and he is pretty thorough (he was in a BSAC club and I have found they tend to be pretty meticulous) but he hasn't been in the water for four or five years.

could be handy if it turns out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

A new 12l could cost around 250euro. To get the old tanks hydro'ed/vipped it could cost you about 60-70 euro.

I wouldn't usually buy old tanks as usually its not much more expensive to buy new ones and not have to worry about vip's and failing valves for 2-3years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I bought second hand off ebay - needed to get the valve replaced when tested. Pretty much cost the same as buying new after shipping, test and valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I bought a second hand tank about 5 years ago that was out of test. I took a chance and its been pretty good ever since. Had to replace the valve once but been fine, still have it but don't use it much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

any free diving , spear fishing clubs in ireland

Advertisement