Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat and 6 lovely kittens story...

Options
  • 15-08-2007 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My kids went away in summer school holiday and left me a nice white cat to look after it.Wasn't our cat,maybe some neighbour losted,but my kids 'managed' to keep in for few weeks before going.Very nice,smart and clean cat,tbh !!!
    3 weeks ago,sitting in front of TV,1am,the cat started to do some funny noises and some water poor from the 'back'.The cat was 'pregnant' and i was almost close to assist to a real 'cat birth' process...
    I ran upstairs and i prepared a clean towel so cat to have a place to...'deliver'.Lucky me,my family were away so i had a good time and place for her...
    Soon,the time came and the first 'brown plastic bag' came out...and then,after 3 hours the mother cat finally rested beside a 6 lovely kittens:2 white,2black and 2 spooties(b/w). I saw the 'father' recently and he's a nice one,as well:big,blackie and long hairy. I've managed to record all on 3 video tapes,i had to keep it,i dunno if ever i have to wittness again. The kids,the following day,were delighted to hear the news and wanted photos posted,so they can see them...
    They were taken care by myself,the best food avalable in shop for the mum and clean,warm spot for kittens.Actually,my family bath was 'lost' on their favour...

NOW...my family is due back shortly and my wife loves animals but not in my house,the little baby 6 months old with the cats around may be dangerous (hair,smell ?),the boy(11y) is decided to keep 2 of them and ,the most painfully one,my daughter (10y) has asthm and the doctor highly advised her to stay away from any animals...and she keeps crying !

WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS !??

The cat is smart and clean and i have to leave her go outside of house ,that's ok.
    But...kittens ?I'm waiting for an extra week and then i had them ket go outside,in the garden'shed!I have to buy some for them,to get some form of protection,but i can't stop them going away.
    They are absolutely magnific,i do spend hours in the evening watching them how they play,walk,eat !!Maybe i got attached to them,thinking to my baby or my kids ??!!!

I would like to ask you for your help.
    Please...

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi - Congrats on becoming a grandpa! 6 kittens would be a bit much to keep - best bet it to take a pic and advertise in pet shops, local supermarkets, etc, that you have a few lovely kittens looking for good homes. Please - try to keep them for about 10 weeks (absolutely no shorter than 8). Then you can be sure that they're learnt everything from mom that they need to (hunting, grooming, litter training).

If you do want to keep a couple, there are a few things you can do. Frequent vacumming will help with allergies and asthma. Try every other day - you may have to increase it to every day (esp with all 3 cats!). Try to get a Hepa filter on your vacuum. If yours doesn't have one, sometimes if you look on the brand website you can find if you can buy one to fit your model - otherwise, invest in a new one! I recommend VAX pet vacuum and carpet washer. (see http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/vax+6140+pet+vax+multifunction+3+1+carpet+vacuum+cleaner/pid/3396873 ) . This has all the tools for picking up pet hair. It doesn't say if it has the washable hepa filter, but you can buy one from www.vax.co.uk if you get it and find it doesn't. Also, wash your carpets at least every other month with the anti - allergen solution. My brother in law has asthma and got a bad reaction when I hadn't washed the carpets for about 4 months. After washing them he was fine in the house - didn't even need antihistamines.

Also, try washing your cats! They'll never like it, you just have to be firm and in control. I wash mine every 1-2 weeks. You can use a flea repellent shampoo like found on www.onlynaturalpet.eu . It repells - but if they are in direct contact and primarly outdoor cats, you'll probably want to use something on top of it (ps - I don't recommend the natural flea drops from Canina on this website - tried on my cats- only lasted two days and now they have terrible flaking skin :( ) Groom the cats daily as well - this will help you bin excess hair instead of it being on the carpets!

One other thing - ban the cats from your daughter's bedroom. She'll probably want them in, but no sense in risking an attack even if you wash them frequently. This may help, but if not, you may have to find good homes for the cats. Best of luck - let me know how you get on!:)

Advertisement