Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Router for PS3 and laptop

• 15-08-2007 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is another 'which wireless router question' but i'm new to this wireless business!

I recently got Digiweb HomeWave wireless 1mb broadband into the house and i want to get a good wireless router for my PS3 and Laptop any recommendations?

I've heard of a deal from peats thoughts?
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21705&sid=14&cid=120&scid=20006

also i've recently heard of homeplugs would they be useful in my situation? (dont know too much about them to be honest)

any comments welcomed.

Jones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Linksys WRT54GS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Many thanks sicruise....

No problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

To anyone else looking at that netgear N router from Peats ,

Be warned , that is advertised falsely , 802.11 N standard is in draft only and is not complete , that device should have been described as 802.11n draft or pre n standard ,

There is no guarantee that this device will still work with N standard equipment when the standard is finally released... as such its a risky buy , and will have no advantage over ( and may even disable ) standard equipment at present.

That is really bad advertising. It specifically states its faster and has no mention of the draft status of that standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

thanks mathias - i had heard about it being 'pre n standard' but that was after a bit of digging.
    Definitely bad advertising....

• Advertisement

It is faster and will work with other draft N devices... and I seriously doubt new N devices will not be draft N compliant.

And anyway ps3 it is only b/g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

and I seriously doubt new N devices will not be draft N compliant

Let me explain that better ....

There is a pre N standard released by the 802.11 commitee .. this is being used as a marketing ploy by manufacturers , who have taken an incomplete standard and used it to sell products , so there is no such thing as " N compliant " . Devices will only be fully certified in 2008. As such that peats ad is mis advertising. ( it should say draft and it doesnt)

There are 3000 plus issues yet to resolve in the N standard , when its finished and released , it is entirely possible that so called " draft N standard " will not work with the N standard because of any number of the 3000 unresolved issues.

As such , it should be clearly marked on any device claiming compliance with the N standard , the N standard is not finished , so nothing can actually claim full compliance yet.

Any pre n standard router , working with 802.11g and b devices can go no faster that the g standard. All your equipment would currently have to be from the same vendor working from the same draft to see any speed increase. There are plenty of reported cases of the " draft " not working with or disabling current b/g equipment. ( so there is already cases of it not working ! )

Maybe the device listed will work with the finished draft , maybe it wont , the whole point is that there is a very real doubt there , so spend your money wisely , those routers are not exactly the cheapest.

From Wi-Fi .org press release ,
    The certification marks used for the first phase of the program will clearly indicate that the certified products are pre-standard, so that consumers will understand that what they are purchasing is not based on a ratified IEEE standard. Wi-Fi Alliance will announce details of the program name when it is finalized.

http://www.wi-fi.org/pressroom_overview.php?newsid=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11_non-standard_equipment

Advertisement