Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP SP2 not installing updates

• 15-08-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I have a Winxp with SP2, it says in the system tray that updates are ready to be installed. When I go to install them it says 'they could not be installed. They are downloaded OK, but wont install. They are the same updates each time. Any adivice??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have you tried installing them through Windows Update instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Yep tried that too. BTW, I upgraded from Win2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have you tried a system restore and then trying to install them again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No havent tried system restore cause I only upgraded 2000->Xp the same day and trying to install the updates so I figured it wouldnt be much good ! I could be wrong... Thx kaizersoze...will try this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 guigsy

Hi there,

What I suggest is the following;

1. Ensure you have plenty of hard disk space and at least 256mb of Ram. SP2 only really runs well with 512mb to be honest.
    Clear the contents of the WindowsUpdate folder
    1. Click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
    2. In the left pane, double-click the Program Files folder.
    3. In the left pane, double-click the WindowsUpdate folder.
    4. In the right pane, click the V4 folder, click Edit, and then click Invert Selection.
    5. Press DELETE, and then click Yes to confirm.
    6. Open the V4 folder, then in the right pane, click to select the IUHIST.XML file, click Edit, and then click Invert Selection.
    7. Press DELETE, and then click Yes to confirm.

3. go to update.microsoft.com and run through the process.

I had this problem before and it waas that windows update was corrupt. I fixed it by a wonderful little tool that some guy release to update PC's in an automatic fashion and funnily enough its called Autopatcher!!! Download it and install it and hey presto!!!!

http://www.autopatcher.com/

Osh

Thanks for that information: Does the Invert selection in Step 6 mean the link that kaizersose provided. Or else I can just download that autopatcher and it will do everything ?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 guigsy

yes and Autopatcher will do absolutely everything!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i remember a few months ago finding the installer service disabled on a pc that wouldn't install updates. funnyily enough came accross the same problem a few times in about a week, and never saw it since

start
    run
    services.msc
    double click on windows installer and set it to manual and click apply and start, then ok the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

batman2000 wrote:
    I have a Winxp with SP2, it says in the system tray that updates are ready to be installed. When I go to install them it says 'they could not be installed. They are downloaded OK, but wont install. They are the same updates each time. Any adivice??

This is a common problem with XP updates, could be a couple of things but mainly error "0x800A01AE" or "0x080070570", easy enough fix :

Manual steps to resolve "0x800A01AE" or "0x080070570" error messages
    To manually resolve this problem, follow these steps: 1. Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    b. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    exit

2. Rename the Catroot2 folder.

Note Do not follow this step if you are using Microsoft Windows 2000.

To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    b. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    exit
    Important Do not rename the Catroot folder. The Catroot2 folder is automatically recreated by Windows, but the Catroot folder is not recreated if the Catroot folder is renamed.
    3. Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder: a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
    b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
    c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

4. Register the files that are used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    b. At the command prompt, type the following commands, press ENTER after each command, and then click OK every time that you receive a verification message:
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

5. Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, the Automatic Updates service, and the Event Log service. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    net start Eventlog
    exit

• Advertisement
Advertisement