Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining two PC for gaming

Options
  • 15-08-2007 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I do not know if this is the right place for this, I want to set up two pc for playing a multi player game (the two pc are in the same room)

I have no idea how to do this and would appreciate some help.
    (1)what harware/sofware I need
    (2)is there a step by step procedure anywhere on the boards that I might find answer for and help with this.

thanks

any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Quickest way to do this is with a cross-over ethernet cable. You should be able to buy one in a pc store, or better yet, get a friend who has access to cabling tools to make you one.

1) Set the Networking on PC one to:
    IP: 10.100.20.101
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.100.20.1

2) Set the Networking on PC two to:
    IP: 10.100.20.102
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.100.20.1

3) Connect their network ports with the crossover cable

4) Open a dos prompt on pc one, and type 'ping 10.100.20.102' - you should get a ping reply displayed...

5) Do the same on pc two, except 'ping 10.100.20.101'

6) All going well, the two pcs are now networked...

If you need help changing the ip, just google it - there are a million sites that explain how to change you ip address...

Alternativly, buy a cheap router with built in dhcp. Plug in both pcs to router with standard ethernet cables. They should both pick up automatic addresses, an be able to ping each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 good old days

thanks ravydavygravy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Gateway: 10.100.20.1 ?

dont understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You need to co under CONTROL PANEL, then NETWORK SETTINGS then setup the TCPIP congfig to match what yer man said above.

Also, leave the gateway field empty - your not using this to route, and it won't matter if you put that in there or not. In fact, it will increase lag time in game as if it tries to route, it will take time to fail where as leaving it blank will keep it from attempting to route outside the local net.

-S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ravydavy in fairness you are making it out to be much more complex then it is there just for network games. :D

Just go to TCP/IP and change IP Address to 1.111.111.1 on one machine and 1.111.111.2 on another - this is all you need to play LAN games, let it auto assign you subnet mask (which it will do once you enter above IP). Oh, and a crossover cable, but its probably easier just to plug them both into your modem if it has space.

Also you can use Hamachi, look it up in Google. It's a program that emulates a local network so they could still be both connected to the internet and play LAN games. Great for when you have a good few machines that you don't want to have to go messing around with all the time, or for playing LAN games with people even if they're at home or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

IMO the easiest IP addresses to use would be 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

I'm tring to do something similar ... i have two pc's... one connected to a router via ethernet and the other connected to the router via wirelss adapter... do i do the same thing as above??

thanks

btw: the router is a netopia wirelss router i got from eircom with broadband about a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 20 homehelptech

juror wrote:
    I'm tring to do something similar ... i have two pc's... one connected to a router via ethernet and the other connected to the router via wirelss adapter... do i do the same thing as above??

Do you have broadband working already? If so, you should already have connectivity between the two machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes the DHCP server on your router will assign the IP address to each machine assuming they are set to auto. So you are set up.

good old days do you not have the same setup? Do you have broadband? If its working on both PC's then you are set up for lan games.

Sharing files is a different story though :D

Advertisement