Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do so many drivers overtake on the inside

Options
  • 15-08-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I'm fed up of people overtaking me on the inside. This is a common occurance on the Naas road; a 3 lane dual carrigeway.

I was driving 100 km/h in the middle lane and suddenly 2 cars overtook me on the inside travelling about 120 km/h. I've no problem with them overtaking me on the outside lane. I do it myself to slower cars, but never do I overtake on the inside.

It's against the law

Except for 3 reasons:

1. When turning left
    2. When the outside lane is stopped
    3. When car on the inside lane is turning right.

Why do people get away with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can here sadles being checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If they can pass you in the inside then you shouldn't be in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

Why are you in the middle lane? If there's enough room for cars to pass you in the left lane that's exactly where you should be. Are you, to use the UK parlance, a MLM (middle lane moron).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

swingking wrote:
    I was driving 100 km/h in the middle lane and suddenly 2 cars overtook me on the inside travelling about 120 km/h.
    Why were you driving in the middle lane if the left lane was empty? (Which it clearly was, if two cars could overtake you in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I needed to be in the very outside lane to head down the belgard road. It would've been dangerous to cross two lanes in such a short time frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You walked straight into this one swingking :D Looking forward to your response. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

yeah you aske for it!

maybe if you check your mirrors more :D and they wont sneak up on you so much and you can move to the left lane
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114726&referrerid=&highlight=

Did you get you licence - if not were you drivin alone?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055056128&referrerid=&highlight=

ah you werent' jst after commin off the Motorway were ya

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

You should have been in the left most lane unless you were overtaking someone. You should really have read the forum to see how many people have issues with bad motorway / Dual carriageway driving, before admitting doing it yourself.

X.

Put the shovel down!
    swingking wrote:
    I needed to be in the very outside lane to head down the belgard road. It would've been dangerous to cross two lanes in such a short time frame

No it wouldn't, I'll presume your car is equipped with brakes, an accelerator, mirrors, indicators and probably a steering wheel! Through skillful manipulation of these controls it should be perfectly possible, for a competent driver, to cross as many lanes as necessary in perfect safety!

If you were that close to your turn off you were in effect turning right, which according to your first post in this thread makes it perfectly acceptable for people to pass you on the left. Your inability to use a 3 lane system effeciently is what caused people to have to undertake you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

swingking wrote:
    I'm fed up of people overtaking me on the inside. This is a common occurance on the Naas road; a 3 lane dual carrigeway.

I was driving 100 km/h in the middle lane and suddenly 2 cars overtook me on the inside travelling about 120 km/h. I've no problem with them overtaking me on the outside lane. I do it myself to slower cars, but never do I overtake on the inside.

It's against the law

Except for 3 reasons:

1. When turning left

Classic Irish driving ignorance - wouldn't be so bad but you come onto here trying to preach the rules to others :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

People undertake on the inside lane because 4rseholes are hogging the outside lanes

If you were that close to the junction, why were you cruising at 100kph? (And other road users were doing 120kph)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Just a propos the legality of 'undertaking'...the new Insurance Industry sanctioned 'rules of the road' flopped on the mat yesterday and, having passed the aul test god knows how many years ago i decided to peruse it to see how much the law had changed etc...(no need for a guy with a red flag to walk in front of the car any more - cool, huh:D)

anyhoo, and correct me please, (but i'm only basing this on the book i trust some others here are famililar with), but it seems that undertaking is not prohibited if the lane/traffic to ones right is moving slower. In other words, (and even as i type, i'm frowning cos i'm thinking 'does not compute') there seems to be no beef with 'undertaking'.

can somebody please point me in the direction of the oh-so-subtle point i'm obviously missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Is it possible that these two cars had just come on to the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

anyhoo, and correct me please, (but i'm only basing this on the book i trust some others here are famililar with), but it seems that undertaking is not prohibited if the lane/traffic to ones right is moving slower. In other words, (and even as i type, i'm frowning cos i'm thinking 'does not compute') there seems to be no beef with 'undertaking'.

Does it not say that undertaking is allowed only in slow moving traffic without actually defining what slow might be? Presumably it's there to allow for sanity in a traffic jam in a town or city but would not normally be allowed on a DC or motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

markpb wrote:
    Does it not say that undertaking is allowed only in slow moving traffic without actually defining what slow might be? Presumably it's there to allow for sanity in a traffic jam in a town or city but would not normally be allowed on a DC or motorway?

that's precisely it; it didn't. I don't have it to hand, but i'll try remember it tomorrow and quote...like i say, i've 'undertook' the occasional muppet meself, but always felt it's a wee bit naughty. Therefore having my rebelliousness called into question is hurting...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

# There is no such thing as ‘fast’ or ‘slow’ lanes on motorways.
    # The simple rule is that you drive in the nearside (left – hand) lane except when overtaking.
    # Whether on a two or three lane motorway, the offside (right hand) lane is intended for overtaking.
    # On a three lane motorway, you may stay in the centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in the nearside (left-hand) lane.
    # Always be mindful of drivers trying to join the motorway from slip roads.

http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=242&Itemid=289

Actually here's another situation, was in overtaking lane (after overtaking and going slightly over the 123kmh that I had set on cruise) coming up fairly quickly on truck travelling somewhere around 80-90kph, keeping an eye in mirrors and land rover catching me very very quickly indicated to move in but would have necessitated braking hardish and disengaging cruise kicked off indicator and floored it soon past truck moved in to let LR pass, would it have been more prudent to move back in to the nearside lane or what would you have done.

I don't consider myself a brilliant driver at all

Yes, I did pass my driving test and I'm not as experienced as others

But can all of us say we are brilliant drivers with no mistakes made

No-one admits they are wrong when it comes to drivers

So at least I'm honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

swingking wrote:

It's against the law

Except for 3 reasons:

1. When turning left

Its easy your not in the proper lane. Drive left and overtake right thats simple. If you follow that rule there would be nobody undertaking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Donald Fagen

swingking wrote:

It's against the law

Except for 3 reasons:

1. When turning left

Wrong. You can overtake in the inside lane if *the traffic in the right lane is moving slower. It's in the ROTR book, Page 25, bullet pointed nice n' clear at the bottom of the page - I just checked it to be sure.

* This replaces your Point 2.
    And your Point 3 should be "When car on the OUTSIDE lane is turning right."

You obviously just think you know the ROTR, yet you quoted 2 of them wrong That, added to the fact that you were in the wrong lane anyway.

So get off your high horse, and read the ROTR again. I overtake on the inside all the time, because there are usually idiots hogging the "fast" lane, as they call it...

• Advertisement

usually idiots hogging the "fast" lane

keep reading the rules of the road and you'll learn that there is an overtaking lane not a fast lane.

Also, If you are allowed overtake when the cars in the right lane are going slower, when can you not overtake on the inside, it just doesn't make any sense.

When are you not allowed overtake on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

swingking wrote:
    keep reading the rules of the road and you'll learn that there is an overtaking lane not a fast lane.

:rolleyes: by god you're some muppet - he said 'the "fast" lane, as they call it...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

swingking wrote:
    And that, my son, is the reason he had "Fast lane" in inverted commas. It is indeed an overtaking lane. Why you were in the overtaking lane when the left lane was free I am not sure, however you hogging the middle lane is why people undertook you. Perhaps being a bit more aware of your surroundings next time on the dual carriageway would prevent people having to make this move, and also prevent you getting up on your high horse to preach to rules to us when we already know them and you clearly don't.

swingking wrote:
    I don't consider myself a brilliant driver at all

Yes, I did pass my driving test and I'm not as experienced as others

Good that you realise that. The majority of people when told they've passed tend to hear "you're the best driver ever" and immediately proceed to pontificate about every other driver on the road while blinded to their own shortcomings, because, "I passed my test" The VAST majority of your driving skill, partly due to the abysmal level of training in Ireland will come from experience. Can I suggest that every time you see someone else doing something, that you think to be stupid or dangerous, ask yourself if your driving may have been a factor in them doing what they did? Most times it won't but occasionally you'll find that you learn something. As I said, experience.
    swingking wrote:
    But can all of us say we are brilliant drivers with no mistakes made

No, nobody can say that and anyone who does is probably way substandard, they just don't realise what mistakes they're making.
    swingking wrote:
    No-one admits they are wrong when it comes to drivers

Good drivers usually will, whether it's by gesture of apology for accidentally cutting somone up or analysing that "moment" they had.

Unfortunately though, by and large you are correct. Driving and parenting (incidentally, both primarily self taught) are the two things people will rarely or never admit to being bad at. There is enough stupidity on the roads and enough scumbag 12 year olds to suggest that there is a great deal of delusion on these matters.
    swingking wrote:
    So at least I'm honest

Well if you've learned anything from posting this it may be that it's not everyone elses fault all the time.

I've learned a good deal from posting this thread. Thanks to everyone for pointing out my mistake which I will correct in future.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

JohnCleary wrote:
    People undertake on the inside lane because 4rseholes are hogging the outside lanes

"

Glad you were willing to take the slaggings as constructive criticism. Yay one less lane hogger in the country! :D

TBH there should have been an insert into the ROTR specifically dealing with this issue, we do not have that many triple carriageway roads in this country hence the lack of knowledge on how to use them, also coupled with the fact there is absolutely NO training on the use of motorways (my wife has a full licence and will NOT drive on the motorway and never has, but wants me to teach her) people generally haven't a bogs notion of how motorway driving is conducted most other countries I've driven in the rules are respected and adhered to but in Ireland to be honest it's a joke and you find yourself making stupid manouvers or being a complete pain in the arse flashing someone ahead cruising at 100kph after you've just overtook someone else and still in the farside/overtaking/fast/boyrace/lunatic lane.

Better education I say, and remove vanity mirrors on the driver's side, I've seen so many people doing hair n makeup in em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

A vehicle travelling at 120kmph (33ms) gains 11 metres per second on a vehicle travelling at 80kmph (22ms). So If you are a car travelling 200 metres behind a 20 metre truck you need 20 seconds for the front of your car to reach the front of the truck. Add in another 20 metres to take in the length of your car and to provide a safe following distance and it is going to take you 22 seconds to overtake that truck. If there is any problems with my rough maths there then feel free to highlight them.

You often see people of our roads refusing to move into a gap a lot bigger than 200 metres and travelling slower than 120 kmph. It just unreasonable and ignorant.

• Advertisement

1800 kilos, 5.2m in length, good brakes though, and not sure but have you ever tried to drive with cruise control in this country, it's a pain in the a*se to disengage then reengage.

Maths may very well explain in detail when dealing with distance/velocity and kinetic energy (I presume that would encompass weight). Unfortunately what it doesn't factor in is Judgement, what is judged or perceived to be a safe distance or not, so unfortunately science will not win through here.

Advertisement