Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query for those of you in the know!!!!

Options
  • 15-08-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Ok I'm out of the loop a wee bit (did the old LC in '99) but have a query about my younger sister. She was by her own admission neither academic and was definitely lazy!

She did 1 honours subject, 3 pass,foundation level in Irish and Maths and LCVP. Is she totally ruled out of getting any courses at all through the CAO on account of the Maths and Irish? I would have assumed she is. What's the story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

She could always get a job at hooters!!!! *Runs away*

I would think there is something available, or she could just repeat, which I will be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

She could always get a job at hooters!!!! *Runs away*

*mounting high horse* BURN THE WITCH! BAN THE TROLL! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Em some colleges won't accept Foundation Irish, Trinity, Maynooth, possibly some of NUIG, UCC and UL as well. Pretty sure DCU and UCD will. But most will accept foundation maths, afaik. She could do a PLC, that's outside CAO, or a Level 6/7, which is CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Well that's max 350 points and I'm reckoning she didn't get max points.

There should be a few courses that allow for such low points and foundation Maths and Irish, but did she have them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think her best port of call would be to try and get a place on a Further Education course. There are many varied courses available and many offer a direct entry-point into college or university upon completion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I got offered a place in Dublin Business School with Foundation Maths (Journalism), but couldn't afford it as it's a private school...

So yeah it's possible to get into a CAO course with Foundation Maths

*High-fives adrieanne*

Foundation maths rules. DBS is a scam, I was planning on goin there this year, but like 4,000 a year. please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

congrats to your sister but college/third level is not for everyone.

If everyone went to college who would work in Dunnes Stores, offices, cinemas etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

The foreigners! :p Oh wait isnt that already happening? XD

amen wrote:
    congrats to your sister but college/third level is not for everyone.

If everyone went to college who would work in Dunnes Stores, offices, cinemas etc?

Yeah and she won't know if college is right for her unless she goes and experiences it... Don't knock the girl done before she even starts trying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'm not knocking the girl at all.
    The LC is a great achievement for anyone.

All I'm saying is that everyone now seems to think you have to go college.
    I'm just saying you don't and that there are loads of opportunities out there that do not require a 3rd level place.

Foreigners

They tuck ourrrrrrrrr jobs.

Who will work in Dunnes? Uneducated hunch backed old men.

College is a must I think, I really think it is beneficial for later in life. It prevents the 'rotting down' of the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Don't knock the girl done before she even starts trying...

Well put! When will she start?

I just got a job in Dunnes:eek: :eek: :eek: Will there be no other Irish, or educated folk!?

I just accepted a job in Dunnes too... haha...

She can start whenever she wants really, give her the websites to various VEC's. Late interviews start in September I think. The day I dropped down to foundation maths I applied for a course in Photography and Journalism in Marino College.

I loved the course but figured journalism wasn't for me after a while, it happens. She might make it through college, she might hate it and leave. Like amen said, it's not for everyone, but if she really wants to head to college she should give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

fetac course would be a good option they let practically anyone in and if she does a bit of research she can find one that dit and dcu will accept over the leaving and i assume they are not the only ones

Advertisement