Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Audio suggestions - 96 Punto

Options
  • 15-08-2007 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm not too sure is this the right place to be asking, but I've had a look around and can't find anywhere else.

Its a friend's birthday soon and myself and a few others are chipping in for a car audio system for him. We know someone who can fit it for us, so we just need to buy some components really.

He's got a 96 Punto, so I think the speaker sizes are 16.5cm front and 10cm rear from my online research. He already has a Sony Xplod head unit which has 4x50watt channels, he'll want to keep that.

Does anyone have suggestions for what the best setup to buy would be? Our max budget is about €250 and we're not sure what to do really. Do you think we could get away with just buying pretty good replacement speakers for his existing ones? Should we go down the route of trying squeeze an amp, a sub and speakers into that budget and probably ending up severely underspending on all 3? I'm fairly lost here when it comes to car audio.

Mucho thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Halfords are doing an Amp and Sub unit for €150, you'll get Alpine 6.5's for €39.99 reduced from €59.99 (I got them and they're v.good) a pair of 6*9's is usually around €60-80 depending on brand.

I think all Xplod units have a pre-out for an amp.
    Halfords are doing an Amp and Sub unit for €150, you'll get Alpine 6.5's for €39.99 reduced from €59.99 (I got them and they're v.good) a pair of 6*9's is usually around €60-80 depending on brand.

No point in spending too much on speakers, as the Xplod unit is probably not up to scratch for a really top end speaker setup, and the Punto hasn't great acoustics so a huge install would have to be backed up by custom fabrications and lots of sound deadening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How do you double the value of a Lada?
    Fill the tank with petrol.

How do you double the value of a 96 punto?
    Put €250 worth of speakers in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

well at least they can take the sound system with them if they get another car,.,
    as for you question, the mk1 punto doesnt have front door speakers unless its the sporting or ELX models, the front speakers are up on the dash and are pretty small, (cant remember the diameter), this means that you might have trouble mounting the speakers. also the rear parcel shelf in the punto is pretty flimsy so it will fall apart after a while if you put 6x9s in it. the rear speakers are the same diameter as the front which are already small.

maybe a cheap amp and sub would be the best way to improve the sound., either that or get some speaker pods from the higher spec puntos and fit them to your friends car with larger speakers than the ones he has.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

tuxy wrote:
    How do you double the value of a Lada?
    Fill the tank with petrol.

How do you double the value of a 96 punto?
    Put €250 worth of speakers in it.

Thanks for the informative post there, tuxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote:

I'd imagine they do. But a subwoofer is the next add-on that your mate needs given his current set up. Bass reinforcement is so important in a car as there are enough low frequency rumbles to cancel out the bass produced by the door speakers - which is usually not enough in the first place!

Find out if the Xplod has a sub line out and, if it does, get him a good powered sub. I've no idea what €250 would fetch, but I'd get one as close to 500W as I could, without compromising too much quality. Poor quality subwoofers stand out a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

That reminds me... I must get speakers and amp for the auld wheel-barrow for when I am gardening....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah it turns out it's actually one of the newer Puntos from late '99 so It's got 16.5cm and 2.5cm in the front door and 10cm in the rear. I reckon you're right about a sub being the main thing to get crosstown, Gonna try to find something not too huge so that it doesn't take his whole boot :)

Advertisement