Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The headcount of failure, (honours maths)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

passed b2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Passed - b1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

A2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

paseed C2 (Up from a fail of 35% in the mocks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

passed, B2 (good paper 2,bad paper 1)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

My maths teacher told me that when all the papers were corrected last year the failure rate was around 49%!! The results were then massaged. That's unbelievable, 49%!

Pass.A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Gangsta wrote:
    My maths teacher told me that when all the papers were corrected last year the failure rate was around 49%!! The results were then massaged. That's unbelievable, 49%!

Your teacher is wrong.

hoolio wrote:
    Your teacher is wrong.
    Hmm yes she only corrects the paper and is a teacher at GMIT.

Many many people correct papers. All of whom are teachers somewhere. Whats your point?

It's not personal. Just....wrong.

hoolio wrote:
    Many many people correct papers. All of whom are teachers somewhere. Whats your point?

It's not personal. Just....wrong.
    sure, so what's your source?

• Advertisement

Erm, a marking scheme setter/advising examiner. But to be honest i dont really want to play "my sources mickey is bigger then your sources mickey" :p Thats not why im saying anything.

Last year as far as a remember people did too well if anything. Also it's virtually impossible to "massage" a 49% fair rate down to what it ends at every year. Especially without there being absolute war in the maths examiners world.

All they do/can do is look at the paper and see what questions seperate the tiers of marks. Say if they want to lower the number of B's, they look at the people who just scraped over 70% and the people who were on a more stable B3, then find the questions that seperate those people to be remarked.

But forget even that. Come on - 49% Does that no strike you as insane no matter who says it. Half of all the people doing honour maths FAILING? It just doesnt happen.

Tbh honours maths has such a rep as a monster that it scares people away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 derryo

Passed (B3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackjack555

Pass...a1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Pass ... a2 ... up from a d2 in the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Passed....C2 like weathercheck up from a 25% in mocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

ok either theres liers or everyone on boards cheated, no way is there nobody else failing maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Most people who do Honours don't fail.
    Ordinary Maths on the other hand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Naikon wrote:
    Most people who do Honours don't fail.
    Ordinary Maths on the other hand.....
    Exactly, its about 1 in 26 or 27 people that fail it since it was something like 3.7% of people who fail it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

B1....so happy! I thought paper 2 would bring me down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Exactly, its about 1 in 26 or 27 people that fail it since it was something like 3.7% of people who fail it.

Also, people in danger of failing would have dropped to Ordinary level long before June 2007.
    Sorry, but you should not have picked the pink paper in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement