Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will we do with the Cathedrals when organised religion falls

Options
  • 15-08-2007 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

There has been very little good come from religion but some of their buildings are wonderful, in the not to distant future when organised religion is no more it would be a terrible shame to see the cathedrals demolished, what could we do with them ? museums, monuments to mans folly ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You are assuming religion will disappear from the face of the Earth? Face it. Whether we like it or not its here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

During the enlightenment atheists were confidently predicting the disappearance of religion within 150 years. I'm fully confident that all currently existing cathedrals will have lost the fight against entropy long before they become redundant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

They would make great places to live, imagine the acoustics for you music collection!

In reality, they will become public building.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Architects will buy them and convert them in trophy homes maintaining many original features, but also incorporating all mod cons like piped organ music.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, with as much respect due to christian denials as possible, churches are already falling into splendid and most welcome disuse all over Ireland and the UK, and Europe too. Generally, the small ones are being turned into homes or offices, while the larger ones are being turned into community centers or knocked down, if they're unsafe. I seem to remember a story about an argument over whether to turn one church/cathedral in Scotland into a night-club a year or two back (can't remember what happened). That ex-church, now a rather nice office building between Ranelagh and Rathmines is a good example of how to do it.

As a pipe organist, I wouldn't mind having my own cathedral sometime. A unused catholic one would do just fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Should it happen, they'd make great concert halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Should it happen, they'd make great concert halls.

This is a nice idea :)

Like most people on this thread, I'd be sceptical about religion 'falling' any time soon. If it did happen though... religion fulfills an important social function for many people, and apart from the religious belief aspect of well, um ...religion, going to church also provides many people with an occasion and a place to meet as a community, so I think it would be good if this aspect was retained in a secular society. Perhaps they could just be turned into community centres, metting places or cultural centres for the local people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 quirk.

I think they would make great museums to rmind people of the religion of their ancestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I say:
    1. Bring back Michael McDowell.
    2. Get that Cafe Bars Bill in.
    3. Convert all of them to Cafe Bars and have a full size picture of Michael McDowell in place of the altar.

Surprised you're still plugging the PDs after the election, Tim. ;)

• Advertisement

Surprised you're still plugging the PDs after the election, Tim. ;)
    You can't accept logic into your life and not have McDowell in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Spaces set aside for contemplation? I tend to use them for that anyway, although I also find services quite soothing.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well in ireland we already have churches, made into restaurants, and converted into mosques so there's some answers, concerts hall is the most obviously, I was listening to david norris at the weekend and then had on john 'us military use shannon of is wrong and its okay not to be married' oneill on and he was saying how the st patrick? used to catholic and that some people wanted it back? I awys get confused about protestantism that its actually still christian, he says they now have chaplins from 3 christian religions in there.

some people might say that ornate massive amazing cathdrals represent a a tribute to god's glory and beauty but there just seem like willy wavingnow I know you need a big buidling to hold alot fo people, but in england and germany they are building massive st pauls sized mosques (and of course people are complaining), now you could say well why not, but have they never heard of modesty? frugalness, spending money where its needed.

well in ireland we already have churches, made into restaurants, and converted into mosques so there's some answers
    There's an interesting thought - maybe in 200 years all our old churches will be mosques. :eek:

Scofflaw wrote:
    I also find services quite soothing.
    Elaborate?

This is a nice idea :)

Yeah, near where I work there's a converted church. Our staff give a concert in it at the end of every year - the acoustics are great*!
    You can't accept logic into your life and not have McDowell in it.

Apparently the PDs can, though.

*Well, not quite so much at the back of the hall, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There's an interesting thought - maybe in 200 years all our old churches will be mosques. :eek:

Not a comforting possibility.

I must say I truly adore the idea of a cathedral being converted into a nightclub. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I once went to see Suzanne Vega play a concert in Christ Church Cathedral... that was pretty cool....

Scofflaw wrote:
    I also find services quite soothing.
    Elaborate?

Well, not your everyday Mass as such, but anything that involves lots of murmuring and a decent quantity of incense. Chanting is particularly good, particularly in Latin. I may find the beliefs ridiculous, but I find the rituals pleasing.

Essentially, I suppose, I like the sacred, and I like the feeling of people setting aside time for it, in a building designed for it. I have a strong objection to using churches for straightforward commercial purposes - using them as nightclubs I find particularly unattractive.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    I have a strong objection to using churches for straightforward commercial purposes - using them as nightclubs I find particularly unattractive.

You mean former churches. And why?

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    You mean former churches. And why?

Because it's tacky?

Because it's tacky?

Yup. After a momentary "ha ha they turned a church into a night-club" it's still a night-club. Night-clubs are inherently tacky, and require only large industrial boxes.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    Well, not your everyday Mass as such, but anything that involves lots of murmuring and a decent quantity of incense. Chanting is particularly good, particularly in Latin. I may find the beliefs ridiculous, but I find the rituals pleasing.

Essentially, I suppose, I like the sacred, and I like the feeling of people setting aside time for it, in a building designed for it. I have a strong objection to using churches for straightforward commercial purposes - using them as nightclubs I find particularly unattractive.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I would also be against using them for commerical purposes. I like the idea of something in society being available to people and the community and not requiring money.

Scofflaw wrote:
    The rituals are equally distasteful. The purpose of the repeated chanting and incense is to make people more susceptible to suggestion. It's a standard brain washing technique.

Scofflaw wrote:
    Yup. After a momentary "ha ha they turned a church into a night-club" it's still a night-club. Night-clubs are inherently tacky, and require only large industrial boxes.

Clearly you've never been to a good nightclub...

So your complaint is not so much that you don't like the idea of a church being turned into a nightclub, its that you don't like the idea of nightclubs, or anything being turned into a nightclub?
    The rituals are equally distasteful. The purpose of the repeated chanting and incense is to make people more susceptible to suggestion. It's a standard brain washing technique.

I have to agree. I find all manner of religious rituals deeply disquieting to experience. Its like, I've heard of it on TV, and I've argued about it online, but here we have real live people genuinely acting out this insanity... *shudder*

Zillah wrote:
    Clearly you've never been to a good nightclub...

I don't believe there's any such thing.

So your complaint is not so much that you don't like the idea of a church being turned into a nightclub, its that you don't like the idea of nightclubs, or anything being turned into a nightclub?

A beautiful building with years/centuries of history -> a box of noise and sweaty, drunk twenty-somethings? That's worse than those jackasses who put a backing beat to Orff.

I have to agree. I find all manner of religious rituals deeply disquieting to experience. Its like, I've heard of it on TV, and I've argued about it online, but here we have real live people genuinely acting out this insanity... *shudder*

Er...gonna disagree here, some of them can be extremely fulfilling.

I don't believe there's any such thing.

Its a subjective value judgement so you are by definition wrong if you mean that in any objective sense.
    A beautiful building with years/centuries of history -> a box of noise and sweaty, drunk twenty-somethings?

Sounds fantastic to me. Sweaty, drunk twenty-somethings...

Er...gonna disagree here, some of them can be extremely fulfilling.

You disagree that I find it deeply disquieting? Ambitious position to take, I'll give you that much...

Well on that logic you'll have to get rid of the majority of sporting events also.

I kind of agree with Scofflaw.

I'd rather see a big old church used for something a little more appreciative. A library, for example so you could appreciate the surroundings in peace. A good example of usage might be that tourist office on Suffolk St.

Don't get me wrong - I've nothing against clubs - but the quality of a club is determined by the class of the sweaty revellers and the speed of the bar staff IMO.

• Advertisement

Well on that logic you'll have to get rid of the majority of sporting events also.
    Sounds good to me.

Oh and isn't there an old church up on Thomas Street that is now a lamp shop?

Advertisement