Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good/Simple/Free Windows partition software?

• 15-08-2007 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

I was always a fan of FDISK, but WinXP doesn't like me using DOS.

Does anyone know of any good, simple or/and free software for partitioning (NTFS/FAT) my drive?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Was stuck in a customers premises who had used up their 10Gb limit on the C:/ drive. They had loads of space on D:/ but couldnt move files there because of an application dependant on C:/
    I wanted to merge C and D together so ended up scouring the internet for ages. Downloaded a couple of programs claiming to be free. NONE WERE FREE. They let you setup the job but when you run the job it asks you to pay.
    You're better off paying for Partition Magic, its what I ended up doing.
    Be interested to know if you find one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yup Googling like mad here, everything pretends to be free, but aint... Ah com eback to me FDISK, come back.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

you can still use fdisk.

Download a win98 bootdisk that has fdisk on it and boot to the floppy. You will boot to dos where you can use fdisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Diver79 wrote:
    you can still use fdisk.

Download a win98 bootdisk that has fdisk on it and boot to the floppy. You will boot to dos where you can use fdisk.

Forgot to mention its a laptop with no floppy drive. I have a WinME boot disk that I use for the PC's ... stupid laptops! Good idea though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

You could always give the Ultimate Boot CD (I know that their website appears to be down at the moment, but there are other download resources) a go. There are a few filesystem and partitioning tools on it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

linux, free.

if you get a ubuntu CD, you can run gparted allows you to resize and move FAT and NTFS partitions

beware - don't move the start of your boot partition as windows NT/2k/XP gets snotty about that

Knoppix has qtparted same sort of thing

www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm - makes some partitions bootable - handy if still using FAT32 for your windows install.

don't forget to set the partition active if you want to boot from it

you can also make a USB key bootable with the HP utility and stick dos on it to get all the old tools , I really miss the ability to backup your partition table that was dropped after Dos 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Note that it doesnt have to be floppy , the extracted image will boot from a USB key or a CD ....I do it myself occasionally if a hard drive is being stubborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Funnily enough I just went through this in the last hour. After some searching and a couple of crappy downloads I got hold of gparted. I needed to resize the 2 partitions on a dual boot laptop.

Downloaded and burned the ISO to CD, defragged the larger partition in windows then rebooted with the CD in. Then it was a simple case of dragging some graphical bars to resize the partitions the way I wanted.

Everything ran smoothly and after quitting gparted and rebooting, both windows installs boot and run fine.

edit: the url I got it from is:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Advertisement