Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Enough Students Doing Science Maths Hon At Leaving Cert

Options
  • 15-08-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

;) I see the Minister is talking about Maths and Science again
    Where are these Electrical- Electronic Engineering -Science Jobs?
    Please tell me :confused:
    Students study hons Maths and Phy Chem where
    (a)They need the subjects
    (b)They like the subjects
    (c)They had good teachers somtime in there past history;
    These are great subjects but if you are not interested in them you need some incentive. ie more points maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Dont they do extra points for MAths in UL? Also i did 2 science subjects and maths and got As in all of them at honours and am now going to do a science degree. I feel weird! Also link us up to this news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Mary Hannafin needs to get another job, because franky the women is a well educated moron, and there is way too much of them in this country.

Timothy McVeigh owns Hannafin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think part of it is trying to attract the jobs to the country i.e they aren't here yet.

Corporations who are interested in investing in Ireland would be put off by the low number of Science and IT graduates that are currently grinding their way through the system and in order to encourage these companies to come to Ireland, the Government must try to encourage students to persue one of these courses.

It's only when there is a readily available supply of qualified graduates that a corporation will consider locating premises here in Ireland and also from there point of view, the more graduates there are, the less they have to pay them as the competition will be between the graduates for the jobs and not between the companies for the graduates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Theres already a good few Pharmaceutical companies and other science industries in Ireland and there isn even enough to fill them atm it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I want to own myself

''women is a well educated moron''

At least it beats being a dumbass moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

True, just 8,388 students took Hons Maths in the Leaving Cert this year compared to 40,655 :eek: who took the ordinary and foundation level papers. And it was also revealed that there was a fall in the numbers taking Physics and Chemistry too, so not a great sign for building a knowledge based economy.

Having said all that, I got an Honour in Maths in the Leaving Cert a few years ago and if I was doing the Leaving again today I'm not sure I would have bothered, if Hons Maths isn't essential for your course and if you need to maximise your points, there are other easiers Honours subjects that take much less time and bring greater rewards in terms of points.

Hons Maths is a time consuming subject and if they truly want to encourage students to take it, then they may need to consider giving bonus points.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Hons maths is for those with talent in that area. Otherwise it is extremely hard work and the time you could waste getting a C would be phenomenal!!
    I did hons til I finished the course, purely coz I thought I'd be at a disadvantage in uni if I hadn't done it (did science degree!) Teacher told me with a bit of effort a high C would have been no bother to me but as I didn't have any 'weak' subject as such I dumped the hons and it was the best tactical decision I made. It freed up so much time and I did really well in the LC as a result.

In my opinion they need another maths level. One half way between hons and pass coz for anyone coming back from hons to pass, its ridiculously easy.

Advertisement