Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom email with three usb modem

• 15-08-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Anyone here having problems using eircom email with a three usb modem.

Since i installed the three usb modem i've had a lot of problems with my eircom email account. Never had any problems on dial-up.

Sometimes i can receive email, sometimes i can't.
    And apparently i can't send email from the eircom account at all via three broadband. Is this true?

Anyway at the moment i'm trying to receive mail. Outlook express says it's connected but after a minute i get an error saying 'my pop3 server has not responded in 60 seconds, would i like to wait another 60 seconds'

Incidentally my three broadband connection at the moment is poor: I have to keep bashing the refresh button just to load one page so maybe this might have something to do with it...

Anyone know if this could be it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I take it you missed The Last Word this evening? That might have shed some light on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

No Rozie i didn't hear the Last Word.
    Do tell please..

Was it just about three's crapness generally.
    Or did it maybe mention specific problems similar to the one i'm describing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 manor41

and I thought it was my system that was the problem. has uninstalled & reinstalled virus software, tuned on / off firewall, tried everything and still can't send mail.

Seem to receive it fine.

Feckin three time to switch and close account reason - not what was advertised broad band me arse 200kbs maximum on a good day! Do they think we're all eejits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

i think you can only send/recieve emails using outlook express/outlook when you are on the eircom network ie connect using dial up or eircom broadband,

when you connect with you three usb modem you are on the three network and eircoms email servers won't let you send or recieve email.

possible way to work around this is to access eircom email using the web logon!

when you are logged on using three, can you access support.eircom.net?

just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

change your outgoing(smtp) server to mail1.eircom.net or mail2.eircom.net...that should allow you to send mail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

change your outgoing(smtp) server to mail1.eircom.net or mail2.eircom.net...that should allow you to send mail

Thanks lads.
    Yeah both incoming and outgoing servers are set to mail2.eircom.net (or mail1.eircom.net) but it doesn't work. :confused:

@p2kone: I actually use my eircom email on my pda-phone over a vodafone connection all the time without any problems- so obviously you don't have to access eircom mail over eircom dial-up/broadband.. I've also gotten it at wifi hotspots etc in the past as well.

I'm just getting the impression it's a problem with three TBH. Seems they're blocking something.

Anyone out there with no problem using eircom mail on three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

tech77 wrote:
    Thanks lads.
    Yeah both incoming and outgoing servers are set to mail2.eircom.net (or mail1.eircom.net) but it doesn't work. :confused:

@p2kone: I actually use my eircom email on my pda-phone over a vodafone connection all the time without any problems- so obviously you don't have to access eircom mail over eircom dial-up/broadband.. I've also gotten it at wifi hotspots etc in the past as well.

I'm just getting the impression it's a problem with three TBH. Seems they're blocking something.

Anyone out there with no problem using eircom mail on three?
    It is a problem with three. Theres a sticky devoted to the problems of 3 and this is one them people have reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭aoc

Had the same problem w/Eircom e-mail (Three's routing is still banjaxed, I would be fired in a second should I ever administer a production service in that amateurish a way) but anyway, if you increase the timeout on your e-mail client, you'll start receiving email after a couple minutes from the sec you click on the "send/receive" button. I have set the timeout to 300 sec. YMMV.

AOC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I frequently switch between connection providers (for reasons not important). Eircom, BT, O2, Vodafone, Airwave Internet, etc.

Most e-mail providers have an out going mail server (SMTP) & an incoming mail server (POP3). What I have found is that you can use the same POP server no matter how you are connected once it's the POP server for your Mail provider that is!
    I found that most of the time I had to switch to the SMTP server of the connectivity provider I was using at that time (but not always). e.g. mail1.eircon.net, mail.iol.ie, smtp.o2.ie, etc.

Of course it could be a problem with Eircom's mail server at their end & not your connection or settings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 O'BP

Any updates on this. I have good sucess with the 3 modem for browsing but cant get outlook set up from eircom to 3. Eircom told me I had to get the name of the outgoing mail server from 3 but when I rang them they knew nothing about that and tried to sign me up for some other package.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

It is a problem with three. Theres a sticky devoted to the problems of 3 and this is one them people have reported.

And thanks to our collective bitching, an ongoing Last Word thingie. Well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

hi guys,

I cant shed any light on the reasons for this but there are definitely problems with Eircom mail accounts using the Three datamodem.

I got mine about three months ago. Initially when I got it I configured my outlook with mail1.eircom.net as both POP server and SMTP server. BUT, I then found that Outlook could not send mail. I tried telnetting in to the mail server and sending from the account and it told me that the IP address (on Three's network) was blacklisted. Someone previous to me must have used the address and had a virus on their PC, getting it blacklisted. I just relayed the mail through another server and recived the mail from mail1.eircom.net as usual.

However, in the last couple of weeks BOTH sending and recieving will not work, and you get no response when you either telnet on prt 110 (POP) or port 25 (SMTP), so I think that eircom have actually deliberately blocked the access this time. The only way that I can access my Eircom account using the Three datamodem is using the webmail.eircom.net web page.

regards,
    Jonathan.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭aoc

hi guys,

However, in the last couple of weeks BOTH sending and recieving will not work, and you get no response when you either telnet on prt 110 (POP) or port 25 (SMTP), so I think that eircom have actually deliberately blocked the access this time. The only way that I can access my Eircom account using the Three datamodem is using the webmail.eircom.net web page.

regards,
    Jonathan.

Nope,
    You get a response on POP but after a LONG time (a couple minutes does it for me). Try using telnet towards mail1.eircom.net on 110 and notice that, after a while, the server will get back to you with the "+OK" greeting.
    SMTP, instead, it's a different kind of animal, as the external IP easily gets blacklisted. Solution? Authenticated SMTP, if you find a suitable provider (gmail?).

aoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have the same issue. Changing the timeout under the account settings to 4 minutes seems to work (it usually responsed in 90 seconds, but I have had it hang for about 4 minutes).

Since the connection is going through immediately (you can telnet to the server and it responds right away), doesn't this appear to be an issue with Eircom and not 3G?

It may be 3G, I'm not saying it is or isn't, but has anyone contacted them about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

You areall talking about using Eircoms outgoing SMTP server with the 3 USB modem...

Generally, unless you are using the same ISP as the SMTP server is located on, it will not let you send email. This is not just a 3 thing, but almost any ISP worldwide.

Does 3 not have its own SMTP server? If so, have youtried using that as the outgoing mail server?

Just a suggestion, oh and I have tried the 3 modem. When it was good it was great, when it was bad it was like havin your heart plucked out with a spoon. Unfortunatley it was only good twice in 14 days............

mj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

You can not send emails on all of the three's packages, only one of the packages allow it, you will have to use your own smtp outgoing server , just click the authentication box for sending, and enter your login details for that service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Were not talking about SMTP. This is POP3 access. Either Eircom or 3G is doing *something* to cause issues with 3G users connecting to their POP3 accounts and getting their email.

It connects immediately, but then sits there idle for almost exactly 90 seconds before giving a server response.

I personally took the advise of the above poster and added my Eircom mail into my GMail (Google Mail) account.

Now, GMail checks my Eircom account every few minutes, and then sends it on to me automatically through my GMail account POP3 server in Outlook.

You can set that up for any POP3 account (up to five different ones) in the options under GMail.

If anyone needs a GMail account here, just let me know (PM). I have a few invitations left and am more than happy to share.

-S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

i just solved this problem using the instructions on this document: http://www.3ireland.ie/pdf/smtp_client_settings_v1.pdf note that the diagram on page 3 has a mistake. you should change the "outgoing mail" to 3-relay.3ireland.ie , not the account name as shown. i also changed the "server timeout" to 4 minutes as someone suggested above. there may be some teething issues, but let's give 3 some credit for bringing broadband to isolated areas! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I changed my SMTP server to mail-relay.3ireland.ie and it works.
    Hopefully it will keep working.

Thank you very much for this El Gaucho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 No. 8

I have a workaround in outlook. I can receive email from eircom pop3 account but cant send a reply. So, I just change the account I send the reply from to gmail which works fine. There is a small button under the "send" button when composing mail in outlook and if you set up your gmail, it can send from that account instead. not ideal but it works...

• Advertisement
Advertisement