Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in investment/markets

• 15-08-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

If mods feel I have posted this in the wrong place then I apologise, but here goes.....

I am interested in moving my career towards either something investment related, or else something like capital markets/global markets, preferably at some sort of graduate level (I have a law degree). Can anyone advise me on which recruitment agencies in Dublin would be the best to approach to see about such positions. I have already taken into consideration the big banks but I was hoping perhaps someone could advise me on less obvious options that might only be known by those who work in that particular field and/or live in Dublin.

I'll be really grateful if anyone can give me a few pointers.

Thanks,

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Joining a compliance function is one idea for a holder of a law degree and it will get you exposure to many areas of a financial business.

Are you young enough to try and get into graduate recruitment programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

As far as I know I am young enough. I am 26 (although soon 27 :( ). I was certainly young enough last year as I had applied for an AIB graduate programme and was invited along to aptitude testing. The problem with a lot of graduate programmes is that they insist upon a 2:1 degree. I have a 2:2 degree and I'm beginning to think it's not worth the paper it is written on. I had considered the compliance option and it certainly has not been ruled out at all. I'm just sick of doing what I'm working at at the moment and I really want to make the career switch but my options seem so limited so I am just looking for any sort of help at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭imalegend

i am in a similar boat,i have a degree in hr and continuing on to a masters in it cos i basically couldnt get into any other masters programme.To try and help myself im going 2 do a night course in stock broking in dbs and try and get qualified as a delaer/broker off my own bat (as from what i know if you put the work in its easy enough to do through the IBS as any1 can sit the MCQ exams).

I would be then looking to get into a graduate programme next year with someone like ICAP in london(any other banks recommended to do this with either?),is this the best way to go or should i try something else?Any advice is appricated.

Note:I dont fancy a career in hr i think that by doing a masters it shows a company that your a capable individual.That you can apply yourself to something with a large work load.Am i just chasing a dream or can i break into this sector?

Tanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

I'm just after turning 24 and am 2 years out of a degree in Electrical Engineering, I find myself completely unchallenged by the field and to be honest I'm not that interested in it. I'll put it to you this way I subscribe to financial publications not to Elec. Eng. publications, I spend loads of time reading business pages of newspapers etc. So I'm pretty sure I'm far more interested in the world of finance.

So I'm looking to make a move to something in that field. I'm wondering does anyone have an idea of how the best way to go about this would be? Should I just apply to graduate programmes since I'm still reasonably young, should I do a masters in some kind of Economics/Financial Maths??, or simply send speculative applications to banks highlighting that my background would be very strong mathematically/analytically and hope to get lucky that way?

I'm actually a regular poster here with a different username, just a little afraid my current employer knows my username.

Banks already know you have a good maths background from your degree and you could apply for grad prog but not till starting 2008...your back ground id say is good enough to at least get an interview in the game but i dont know 2 much 2 be honest.Im in the same boat.Trying to get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 westside

it is very hard to get into a career in investments & markets even for people working in banks already eg people in back office or support roles. I think people coming from unrelated disciplines will find it even harder but you wont know until you try. Try talking to a HR person in one of the co's you are interested in. I work in a financial company and would have loved to move to a front office role but the more experience I gained in a different area the less likely the depts i wanted to move to would look at me. Getting an accounting qualification is always a good start, it you dont get the role you want you can always use the accounting qual for another disipline.
    there are some good broker/treasury courses out there but I would find out my chances for either a HR person or a recuitment agent before signing up to one. Look at irishjobs for an idea of the roles and you will see plenty of agencies there and they will be more than happy to talk to you .
    when i am hiring i see people with investment qualifications who could not find work in this area. its a pity but its a small market in dublin and very competitive. the graduate programmes are a good way of trying to get into this area. knowing someone who can get you an interview also helps :-). good luck with it . ruck-it...having the maths backround will definitely help

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SteadyEddie

Most of the investment houses in London will not discriminate on your degree. But they will look for excellent results and you should expect a tough interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Trying to get ahead in Investment Finance,can be very difficult,especially in Dublin.

If you have a strong maths/non-finance degree,then consider applying for junior trader positions,they tend to value maths over business/finance degrees.

A good masters can be good for "rebranding" your CV for employers.

I wouldnt recommend the compliance route,as a way into investment management,I have never seen anyone make it out of compliance(although its possible).Its probably easier to make it into front office via back/middle office positions.Some of the bigger firms in Dublin tend to promote internally for junior front office roles.

These days,to move into front office internally you are probably looking at taking the CFA examinations,these are a very tough series of exams,that require alot of time and effort,and the failure rates are very high.The designation is generally considered the gold standard in professional investing, I have found it opened alot of doors for me,that were previously closed.

www.cfainstitute.org

Any questions,please ask.

Thanks for the info dunc.

I am doing a masters in HR for the pure simple fact of being educated to a masters level and also have something 2 fall back on if i cant get into brokering or trading.

Im going 2 do both courses in dbs in stockbroking.2 diplomas which davy seem 2 add their approval 2.Would you know if im wasting my time with these courses as the route i want to go down is a grad programme in london next year with someone like ICAP or even if i could do it with anglo or someone here i would.

Any advice would be great?I would consider doing the CFA exams also off my own bat but not till next year as i feel a masters and 2 diplomas is enough for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Any amount of additional education is good,I would expect the DBS diplomas to carry more weight in Dublin then London as DBS is not necessairly that well known in the UK.

The good grad programmes are very hard to get into,consider AIB investment Managers who have only taken in 3 grads in the last 3 years,while having thousands of applicants.

You will probably find the CFA's harder than the Diploma's and masters put together,especially if you havent covered statistics/economics/accounting/finance before,and also because you will probably be working full time.

Its not easy getting where you want to go,but if you are bright,and determined enough,you will get there.Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Cheers dunk.

I gathered that about DBS ok and my primary degree is in accounting and hr so i have some accounting,economic and stats done.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement