Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Real Pub Tournament

• 15-08-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

Looking for feedback on this idea......

Qualifiers running through the year, all over the world and online.

Main event is a €5,000 buy-in (plus €500 registration).

1st prize is a pub/restaurant in Dundalk, Co. Louth valued at €2 million today but is located in an area of Dundalk which is undergoing a revamp and expected value within the next two years is €3-€3.5 million. Official valuations will be available to all interested players.

The tournament itself will be played over minimum two days with the most reasonably playable structure possible.

Any pub that qualifies the winner will receive €50,000 in cash and the winner him/herself will receive an extra €20,000 in cash.

The pub is guaranteed to the winner subject to 350 players taking part.

Any prize-money in excess of €2mil will be distributed to the 2nd 3rd 4th place finishers etc.

We're aiming this at pub players, publicans and business owners that might want to make a real investment.

Do you think poker players or business people in general will play a €100 qualifier for this?...Its basically a winner take all main event.

Email stephen@pokerireland.ie if you would like more info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

he he...interesting...depends if the pub is making money...dunno know if i'd wanna win a business thats goin down the swanny :D

intersting idea though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

don't think so Stephen.

Many tournaments around for a €5,000 + €500 buy in with a €2m pay out, OK not in Ireland.

But given the choice of winning €2m cash or a Pub in Dundalk worth "supposedly" €2m I'll take the cash please.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

get off the drugs maaaan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Cheers for the feedback lads.

We've been asked to run this tournament so need to hear as many opinions as possible.

I realise the appeal of cash over a bar/restaurant but I think that when we are able to relay more information about the business there might be some genuine interest.

I know lots of people always say that they would love to own a pub, I'm just wondering if they would be willing to follow through on it and invest €100 to win €5,500 and then invest that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

ste do not want to be doom and gloom but i cannot see this working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭sumoward

The Novelty value with make it marketable. Getting the level involvement you need to make such a competition viable however could be uphill work.

Winning an "Irish Pub" could go down well in certain countries. just dont explain what Dundalk is like.:eek:

I assume you you considered contacting Irish pubs in other countries in regards to participation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i really can't see u getting enough people for this to work. the amounts of sats you'd have to organise would be immense since i doubt anyone would really be interested in coughing up 5.5k for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

If it's value at €2m, and is worth €2m, surely from the owners perspective the easiest option is to put it up for auction :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

carfax wrote:
    Looking for feedback on this idea......

1st prize is a pub/restaurant in Dundalk, Co. Louth valued at €2 million today but is located in an area of Dundalk which is undergoing a revamp and expected value within the next two years is €3-€3.5 million. Official valuations will be available to all interested players.

Email stephen@pokerireland.ie if you would like more info.

The Pub looks a bit upmarket for DundalkSteven:D :D

woburn_pub_fire_400x300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

your biggest problem in getting 50+ runners to pay a 100+ in a pub tourney - i'd play but im odd! - not a snowballs chance in hell getting those numbers

50 quid x 20+ runners is possible, but that gives you a field of 2000 runners for 1 prize :eek:

quack quack bang!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

lol, to a few of the above posts.

Cheers for the feedback lads.

I had to ask, and the answer is as expected.

See you all at the IPO (or at Luke's tomorrow night).

Advertisement