Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

64 bit question

• 15-08-2007 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just bought a laptop and only realised now it says its 64 bit,
    didnt even know they had developed 64 bit vista

how will that effect usage?
    For software, games and the like?
    Would 32 bit stuff run on 64?

**** **** why dont I open my eyes reading here on Wikipedia, there will be trouble with drivers at least.

Anyone else have a 64 bit machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

As its a laptop and it came with the OS installed , you should have all the drivers already , so wheres the hassle ? They must be available or your machine wouldnt be working.

As for apps , most are working these days , they are mostly 32 bit , but your OS should run them without too many issues.

It doesnt have to be a 64 bit app to run on a 64 bit machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You sure its not referring to the CPU being 64bit, not the OS. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mathias wrote:
    As its a laptop and it came with the OS installed , you should have all the drivers already , so wheres the hassle ? They must be available or your machine wouldnt be working.

As for apps , most are working these days , they are mostly 32 bit , but your OS should run them without too many issues.

It doesnt have to be a 64 bit app to run on a 64 bit machine

not everything he'll connect to the laptop will have 64-bit drivers tbh.

most of the big hardware vendors like ati/nvidia have 64-bit drivers out there.

most 32-bit apps will still work but there will be a select few that will be anal as usual.

64-bit apps will of course be more efficent and faster if coded properly for 64-bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

If you do happen to find something that has no 64bit drivers for vista you can try to use the xp 64bit driver. In some cases this will work (some require slight editing however).

I'd be very surprised if a laptop came with 64bit OS unless it was requested. It definately is not the norm.
    If you are unsure whether it is 64 bit OS or not you can type "winver" in the "search box" from the start menu in Vista and it will tell you exactly what you have.

32bit apps will 99% of the time work under a 64bit OS (i'd say 100% but someone is bound to point one out just to annoy me :p ), i haven't come accross a game yet that doesnt work on my 64bit Vista machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Thanks for the replies guys really put me at ease.
    The laptop is here
    HP

Says processors is ^$ bit but does that not mean te OS has to be aswell.
    Says OS is Vista Home Premium.

As for the drivers, its just when adding new hardware is when I thought there would be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Most processors these days are 64bit capable but they run 32bit just as well so therefore doesn't need a 64bit operating system.

I'd be very surprised if you do indeed have a 64bit OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Thanks lads really put me at ease. I dont usualy spend over a grand on one thing so want it right if I do.
    Say yer right its probably just the processor.

Advertisement