Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fixing one crooked tooth

• 15-08-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

fortunately, I have only one crooked tooth. It's one of my incisors. There's one tooth on one side and on the other I have a gap. I'm curious to know if I could get this incisor straightened so I could have a perfectly straight set of teeth. Would I need to wear a brace? (again, I'm seeing a dentist later this month, but want to do some of my own research beforehand). Hope someone can advise, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cailinor

hey lola,

just wondering how you got on with the dentist?i've a similar enough issue to yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

Cailinor wrote:
    hey lola,

just wondering how you got on with the dentist?i've a similar enough issue to yourself

he recommended a brace called Invisalign.

I'd have to wear this brace, that's thee only option, and as an adult i don't really want those metal train tracks.

http://www.invisalign.com/generalapp/fr/fr/

But it's expensive, just for one tooth, I don't think I'll bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You could get it filed down and have a crown on top of it, that's what I did with a tooth in a similar position.

Braces are so expensive and not exactly guaranteed to work once you're an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

eth0_ wrote:
    You could get it filed down and have a crown on top of it, that's what I did with a tooth in a similar position.

Braces are so expensive and not exactly guaranteed to work once you're an adult.

a crown isn't exactly cheap either, plus don't crowns need to be replaced every ten years or so? My tooth isn't crooked enough that i want to lose half of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I dunno, around 600 quid? They can last longer than ten years, and even still, you could be paying 5 grand for braces if your teeth are bad. My tooth wasn't very crooked but a crown is a quick and easy option. I wouldn't bother with braces if you're in your 20's, I know a few people who've got them as adults and it hasn't really been worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

eth0_ wrote:
    I dunno, around 600 quid? They can last longer than ten years, and even still, you could be paying 5 grand for braces if your teeth are bad. My tooth wasn't very crooked but a crown is a quick and easy option. I wouldn't bother with braces if you're in your 20's, I know a few people who've got them as adults and it hasn't really been worth it.

Gonna have to disagree with you here eth0. Orthodontic consultation should always be the first stop on the aesthetic dentistry journey. It is conservative in that it is preservative of tooth structure. The minute you cut a tooth you compromise its longevity, orthodontics is an alternative that does not significantly shorten the lifespan of a tooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Orthodontics is always the best option as it is unlikely to damage your teeth and is the most conservative option. Sometimes fillings or restorative dentistry can fix the problems also, go to a dentist and get a professional opinion.

Etho I also your disagree with your reccomendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm having a problem with a back tooth that's crooked (it's at the real back just in front of the wisdom tooth. It's growing out at an angle (pointing out of my mouth into the cheek). It's really annoying as I can't close my jaw fully on the right side. The tooth in front was pulled not so long ago which seems to make it more noticeable.

I don't know if it can be straightened as it's kindof out on it's own. I wouldn't like to have it pulled as that would be two gone on that side but it's very annoying when eating.

Advertisement