Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Kilkenny

Options
  • 15-08-2007 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all. I'm planning on moving to Kilkenny city from Dublin in the near future and am looking into IT work in the area, specifically programming. Can anyone here give me an idea of which companies would be worth looking into ??? It's either find a job in Kilkenny or resign myself to a long commute, which, as you can guess, I'd rather avoid.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

HI MisterCrown. If you are looking for something local, might be no harm to pick up a copy of the Kilkenny People which usually has 2/3 pages of recruitment adverts in it. It comes out in Kilkenny on a Wednesday or you can pick it up in Eason's in Dublin on a Friday.

Maybe some of the other posters here might know of relevant companies or agencies you could get in touch with.

Best of luck with the move!

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Paragon Systems are one that I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I was placed by Verkom and found them to be very good.

Be aware that the south-east has about half the population of the Dublin area, so you'll need to broaden your job search to include probably Waterford and Carlow, possibly also Clonmel, all within commuting distance of KK. I commute from Waterford to KK myself, and it takes an hour, but a warning here: if you are looking at a commute to Waterford, don't underestimate the traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, Waterford is only 30 miles from Kilkenny but the road is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

KK pretty central. I have even heard of people commuting to Intel from here but that seems far. Guess depends a lot on the flexibility of the job etc.
    KK will open up a lot more in year to come with the new motorway and that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Heap

CoreHR have offices based in Kilkenny they are one of the largest Irish owned software companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

Thanks for that everyone, the quest is still ongoing. Any luck I'll let yiz know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

Just to let you know that I've moved down and started a job in Waterford. The journey is a bit long but, then again, it can't be as bad as driving in Dublin. Thanks to all who offered advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The new road under construction should make things a bit better in the not-so-distant future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just to let you know that I've moved down and started a job in Waterford. The journey is a bit long but, then again, it can't be as bad as driving in Dublin. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Congratulations! I'm be one of the cars passing the other way every morning :D

There's no way of avoiding Rice Bridge in Waterford, at least not for another two years, so just get used to the crawl. Early 2009 you'll have a motorway from Knocktopher to the city. Sometime in 2009 or 2010 you'll have the new Suir bridge. Unfortunately it'll be tolled, but you'll probably save that in hassle and petrol.

There are also plans to extend the motorway from Knocktopher further north to KK, so maybe 2010? Should make your commute (and mine) a whole lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I know this thread is a bit old but I'm pretty much looking for the same information, I'm looking for work experience in IT or Programming (Java) just one or 2 days a week. I've one year left in my BSC in Information Technology and just need to get some hands on experience.

Anyone know of any other software companies in the Kilkenny Area

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Dymo wrote: »
    I know this thread is a bit old but I'm pretty much looking for the same information, I'm looking for work experience in IT or Programming (Java) just one or 2 days a week. I've one year left in my BSC in Information Technology and just need to get some hands on experience.

Anyone know of any other software companies in the Kilkenny Area

Thanks

Pretty much read my mind! I'm just finished my BSc in IT (eagerly awaiting results) and planning on sending out CVs shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was there not 200 new jobs announced in Kilkenny earlier on in the year with some IT company?

mfitzy wrote: »
    Was there not 200 new jobs announced in Kilkenny earlier on in the year with some IT company?

There was - Mostly minimum-wage tech support as far as I know?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056550287

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There was - Mostly minimum-wage tech support as far as I know?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056550287

That's my understanding also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Did you have any luck after Dymo?

Currently, VHI & Taxback.com are not hiring. CoreHR didn't respond to an application or a follow up email!

There are plenty of internships available though through FAS/The Job Bridge program which must be diluting the general jobs market to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

No luck yet but really only got into the full swing looking in the last week. Hoping to do the Java Certified Programming exam in the next couple of weeks, so that's taking up a bit of my time at the moment. The Job Bridge scheme are looking for people with minimum requirement of honours degrees!. So that's definitely effecting jobs in the market I heard when enquiring about Taxback that they are awful to work for and most there IT is in Dublin.

I don't want to spend a fortune getting to the workplace if its just work experience but most of the IT jobs seems to be in Dublin.

Advertisement